Does anyone elses preshooler have really bad dreams where they will not wake up out of them?

My little boy has really bad dreams, he is awake but not awake. He cries for me and tell me he wants to go with his mommy and he wants his mommy and i am in front of him trying to calm him down. He does not know where he is etc. When he wakes up finally out of these dreams he is ill,upset, mad. He gets in thesemad spells after them.? I am thinking about taking him to a child psych.? My boy is 3.5 years.

cowgirltuff

Asked by cowgirltuff at 9:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There called" night terrors", I saw a special on them a while back and what your describing sounds just like it.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my daughter used to have these. They really scared me. My mom told me to put on music in her room. She has a cd in every night of her favorite songs from Sunday school ( I put it on repeat all that way it plays all night) and since I've done that she hasn't had one.
    marinewifey25

Answer by marinewifey25 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I know of a few kids that had really bad night terrors due to their tonsils being so big. They weren't sick , they just had large tonsils. Come to find out, they were having a hard time breathing, so the doc removed them and they no longer had night terrors. Might be an idea to check with an ear,nose and throat doc ( if you look and see if they are really big.)
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 10:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Night Terrors.
    The best thing to do is to NOT wake him. Yes, it's heart-breaking to listen to and you want to comfort him but as you've found, he's even more upset when you do wake him.
    Stay nearby so you can make sure he doesn't hurt himself. Hum or sing softly - he may hear you on some level and it may help. Eventually he will lay back down and go back to peaceful sleep.
    The good news is that he will not remember the dream in the morning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Does your son have anxiety over issues that are occurring during the day? My daughter used to behave in this way approximately 1 hour after going to sleep. She usually does this the night before something is to occur that she is anxious about.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My son is 4 and has night terrors almost everynight for about 2 years. The doctor said he should outgrow them. she said to wake him up about 30 min after he goes to sleep and let him know you are there then his mind forgets what it was gonna dream about. He was asleep by his daddy this morning and he started hitting him and screaming and even tried to bite him and my husband called his name a couple times and he calmed down but was asleep the whole time that was about an hour ago and hes still sleeping. If he sees bugs or spiders during the day sometimes he has night terrors and thinks they are on him and we have to wake him completely up and let him know he is safe and nothing is on him. I am so wishing that he outgrows this soon because a good night sleep would be good. It takes a lot of patience but he is worth it.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I'm very sorry to hear about your trouble. I would suggest at least talking to a psychologist yourself Soon even if you don't feel ready to take your child there. I really liked the advice about soft music during sleep hours. With all the different levels of REM, alot of it will get in even if on a subconscience level. Recording your own voice saying soft calming things could help too when played all night. I would also encourage keep talking here as a support group, but only with the professional help in your home town. aka if it were me, I would be making phone calls today. Finally, a little excercise I do with my son if he has a restless night, discuss what dreams we want to have an hour or so before bedtime, and put yourself in the dream with him as you talk or make one up. He will at least know in the back of him mind that you are still there with him, he is not alone.
    CammyLStevens

Answer by CammyLStevens at 12:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2009