How much baby clothes to bring to the hospital for the delivery day??

So I am packing hospital bag...I have two onesies, a pair of little pants, and a skirt, and two pairs of socks, and mittens, and 2 head caps. Is this enough? What if I end up having a c section and we're there longer? I'm assuming you don't actually put your clothes on your baby til youre leaving the hospital...am I incorrect? Thanks :)

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you are correct! Wow, you got alot going on in your diaper bag! I only brought one outfit (shorts and a tiny tee shirt). I was more worried about having things for myself!! They will provide you with everything at the hospital that you will need to get your baby home and then some. You don't even need an outfit, but most moms want a special outfit to bring their baby's home in!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• you only need one outfit, if it's cold outside then a hat and a warm blanket. no, you don't dress the baby until the day you leave, unless you're getting pics done there. and you don't need much in your bag either. just an outfit, slippers, and maybe soap and shampoo if the hospital doesn't provide them.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I brought two outfits. One for pictures and one for her to come home in (with a hat, and socks. It was february and cold). You do not need any clothes for your baby to hang out in at the hospital. They had my daughter in a long sleeve t-shirt with built in mittins and that is what she wore. The prefer it that way cause the undress your baby a lot for test and checkups there and I think the t-shirt makes it easier.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I brought 2 sleepers with me. I put one on her right away so she wouldn't get her picture taken in the paper tshirt from the hospital and one she wore home.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I brought 2 but neither fit b/c he was so tiny! I'd stick to 2 or 3 ( one for pics and one to come home in. The last would be a 'just in case' outfit. The hospital will provide for you everything else you'll need. And I'd keep them as a momento.
    JustPeachy678

Answer by JustPeachy678 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son was "the best dressed baby in the nursery" < direct quote from the nurses. I took 3 outfits and 3 jammies. So he had an outfit for every day. It's not totally necessary but I thought it was kind of fun to dress him up.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You need ONE coming home outfit. That's it. The hospital should have little shirts, little socks, little hats, even little mittens. Call the L&D unit to confirm and bring a couple of anything they don't provide. Otherwise, ONE cute outfit for the photos on coming home day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I really think it depends. I had a son and I got him circumsized. I felt uncomfortable putting him in anything like pants. Also, my son had very sensitive skin so we ended up putting our clothes (that i had previous washed in sensitive detergent) on him pretty much the second day we were there!
    cchmielewski

Answer by cchmielewski at 12:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• with my daughter the hospital had her in a tshirt and recieving blanket with my son it was a diff hospital and they put him in a hat as well. you may want to bring a newborn size outfit to come home in and a 0-3 month in case he/she doesn't fit in newborn clothes. i took a 0-3 for my daughter and it was literally falling off her and the jacket covered her face so she couldn't wear it (dec baby) for my son i took newborn and 0-3 just in case and he fit perfectly in the newborn clothes. and a side thought, you may want to make sure they are gender neutral in case its not a girl.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I took the same amount as you and within a couple of hours she was out of hospital issue stuff and into her own. I just did not like the stuff they gave me. I took a few different sizes of outfits, a bunny rug too and little shoes. About 5 or 6 outfits in total and then one going home outfit. The hospital staff loved it and plus she looked great in photos.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 2:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2009