Is it common to have an abnormal ultra screen result?

I am 23 years old, and this is my first pregnancy. I had an ultra screen test about a week ago that came back abnormal, and I'm REALLY concerned. Everyone has been telling me not to worry as much, but I cant help it!

Asked by lilmommy1020 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well you need to be more specific as to what they actually saw, but yes it is common for them to see something that is abnormal that turns out to be nothing. Sometimes the baby is moving around and the tech can't get a clear picture, or sometimes there will be something there that won't be there the next time. I had a doctor during my second pregnancy tell me that my bloodwork was abnormal and there was a 10% chance my baby would have Downs Syndrome. I freaked out and worried for a solid week until my ultrasound showed that my due date had been miscalculated which threw off the test results. My friend had something abnormal show up on every ultrasound or blood test she had with all 4 of her pregnancies and she had 4 healthy babies. I know it's hard not to worry but more than likely everything will be okay. Best wishes to you!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• thats the worst part about all of this, i have NO IDEA what is abnormal. All they told me is my blood work came back with extra chromosomes, my Dr. said it's defiantly not down syndrome but could be something similar; but i can't go for additional testing until I'm 15 weeks- which is 2 weeks away!

Answer by lilmommy1020 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well I understand how you feel. Sometimes I think the only purpose of these tests is to make pregnant women crazy. If it will ease your mind, call your doctor and tell him you want more information because you're really worried and to explain to you in English, not doctor mumbo jumbo exactly what's going on. Keep calling and bugging the daylights out of them if that's what it takes. You're the patient, you have the right to know!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Oh! I hate it when they do that! I'm sorry this has happened to you but they shouldn't have told you something like that before they knew what was going on or informing you better. I wish you some peace of mind and I will pray that you and your baby are just fine!!

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 10:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Oh lord why they put new moms through this is beyond me. They said do not worry so don't it is what it is pray, breath and share take all the support you can and look it up on the internet it is very early to say so hang in there let us know.

Answer by rosetoes at 6:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2008