am i too old?

i am 34 and want to go back to college to get my a.s degree, i have a lot of kids and was thinking should i just forget about it and stay home with them or actually make something for myself at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• No you're not too old! It's never too late to go back to school. Just last year I was reading about some 70-year-old lady who went back to school, because she wanted to prove to herself she could do it and she wanted a college degree before she died.
    I think it's great for anybody to go back to school! Good luck with your decision.
    Anonymous

• Doing something as productive as obtaining education is never too late. Go for it! Why stop at an associate's degree? My father went back to school at 40 and got his law degree. We were all very proud of him for it.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Hey, I'm 34 and thinking of going to medical school, so I agree that it's never too late. If it's something you want to do, go for it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 11:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• In the town I live in the local tech school has the majority of there students in the 30-35 age range.
    It is never to late to educate yourself more. If it feels right......then do it.
    You will never no til you try it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• HONEY, YOU ARE ONLY AS OLD AS YOU FEEL! Your age is just a number...I'm 38 and have to braid my hair for work everyday and want to get a couple blue streaks put in just for fun. WHY NOT? Go back to school, make something of yourself for you and your kids! You will not only set a good example for your friends and family, but for your kids as well...I have a great aunt that is still going to school, and she loves every minute of it! We are NEVER too old to learn and there is ALWAYS someone willing to teach no matter how old we "think" we are. GO FOR IT!!!
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You are never too old! Not only that, you will be sending your kids an awesome message on the importance of education.

Start with your local community college; the classes will be (relatively) inexpensive, many classes will be online, and you may even qualify for some financial aid. Call the admissions office and make an appointment, or just sign up online.

Stay away from the for-profit schools! These are school like CTU. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholder; education is not their priority.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• There are many people in their late 20s and early 30s going to school. Especially moms. There are colleges that are focused on helping adults and women also. My mother went to Alverno in Milwaukee until she was about 40 years old. They're an all girls catholic college and she loved it. She said they were soo helpful. They even helped her find babysitters when she had a class or test and was struggling. Go for it!!!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I work with people who think it is too late for them to go to school or change occupations. As an example say you start work at 20 and retire at 65. At 40 years old that would mean you have more working years ahead of you than you do hehind you. Don't write yourself off just because you didn't do what you wanted in your 20's. You still have a lot of years to do what your want. If you look at the average persons life span the time spent raising children is less than 1/3. Once your kids are gone it would be nice to have something for yourself.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2009