• In the Spotlight:

Home remedies for a cold and cough?

What can i take? I've had a really bad cold, which i though was allergies, b/c i just moved somewhere new, and i havn't slept in about 5 days b/c i can't breath b/c my chest and throat burn/feel tingly which is causing me to cough. And i have a cold too. What am i allowed to take. any suggestions. i just want to feel better and get some sleep. i miss my nyquil :(

ClvDandJ

Asked by ClvDandJ at 11:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can take Coriciden (spelling?) My doctor told me that was about all I could take during pregnancy when I had a cold. as for the cough, I think coriciden makes some for cough and cold but you can ask the pharmacist what is safe to take during pregnancy. i don't know off the top of my head. I hope you feel better soon.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The list of pregnancy safe meds my doctor gave me says

For Cold and Flu
    Sudafed -congestion
    Robitussin- cough
    Benadryl-Runny Nose
    Tylenol
    Chlortrimeton
    Claritin

and for sore throat
    Cough Drops
    Chloraseptic throat spray
    Tylenol
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 11:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Well, you could try some lemon juice and honey. lemon will break down the mucus and honey will coat the throat so it doesnt hurt. Normally i add a bit of whiskey to the mix to help me sleep and to make it taste a bit more tolerable ...but you probably dont want to do that if you are pregnant.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My mom used to make me do this as a kid. Boil some water and take dried eucalyptis (spelled wrong I know) you can get it at wal-mart in the floral arraingments. Take the leaves off and put it in the bowl of hot water and then put your face over it and hold a towel over your head. You can also use Vicks. Do this twice a day and be sure to drink lots of water during. It will get rid of all that mucus.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 11:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2009