tearing during childbirth

I'm worried that I will tear badly during childbirth because I sometimes bleed a tiny bit after sex and sometimes get a tiny little tear. Does this mean that I will necessarily tear badly during childbirth?

Is there anything I can do during my pregnancy to reduce my risk of tearing when I give birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• olive oil and kinda "stretch" it out.... and not necisarily but sounds like you might....
    Anonymous

• ive never really heard of anyone tearing during sex, unless you do it like CRAZY ROUGH, but if that is the case, then i would definately say yes you would, so jsut talk to your doc you would probably get an episiotomy
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 11:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Sex and child birth are different. If you bleed during sex it might have been due to not enough lube. Your tearing during childbirth might be something that you'll just have to deal with. The skin needs to stretch and sometimes you tear. It's not too big of a deal, you get stitches and it's sensitive but overall, it isn't too bad. I tore and it was sensitve for a while but it healed and it was fine. Try not to worry about something as small as this. There isn't much you can do about it other than trying to stretch it out now, but even that might not stop you from tearing.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 11:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• how do i "stretch" it out? lol
    Anonymous

• get some mineral oil, and have your s/o rub it on and just have him rub his hands in that area, and thats one way to 'stretch' it out.
    Anonymous

• I am the same way and I have the same fear (if I go for a Vbac). I tear a little almost every time my husband and I have sex. Even when its not "rough" sex.... I've heard that doing a lot of kegels can help with your elesticity or whatever so you heal better after the fact....
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• oh ya... In case you didn't know what they were. Kegels are tightening up all your muscels "down there". You can do it anywhere... even driving from place to place. Its like when you stop you pee midstream... thats a kegel. Only you do it when your not peeing too lol.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• do kegels..its good exercise for down there..my lamaze instructor said it helps reduce the risk of tearing
    ilovEmma09

Answer by ilovEmma09 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I understand doing Kegels it helps the muscles INSIDE but it doesn't effect the skin on the outside, which is where you would tear if you are going to. there really isn't much you can do about that. I had a friend with 3rd degree tears with her first and a friend who didn't tear at all with her first. It just depends on you personally and in my opinion how much you've had stuff going on down there.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2009