How do I find a good sitter for my kids?

aldixon

Asked by aldixon at 11:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• easy, if her name isnt grandma dont trust her!
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 11:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• get recommendations from friends and relatives. when you interview have her come to your house and sit down and just talk for a bit about her and then on your views on parenting. discuss: discipline, schedules, food, bed time, etc..all the things that you feel strongly about. have the kids there so they can meet her, ask her to play with the kids for awhile to see if they get along well. (let them play outside for a little while or some where you aren't over their shoulder but can put a monitor or something in the area so you can hear how they get along and how she speaks to them). if they are old enough ask them what they thought of her, and if it seems like someone you would like, ask her to come by for an hour one day while you run errands, if the kids are upset to see her leave it lets you know they like her, and you'll be able to tell if other rules were followed. this is how most of my "interviews" went as CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• a teenager w/people who didn't know me personally but had been given my name for a recommendation. that way you are both easing into the situation and the kids get a chance to meet her before you walk out the door and leave them with her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Ask everyone you know! Seriously, word of mouth is usually the best way to find someone.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 8:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Definitely word of mouth. My neighbors have found wonderful sitters through the education department of a local university. You can also try www.sittercity.com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2009