I have Christian values but I don't believe that Jesus saved us?

I usually find myself agreeing with Christian moms on here, but my way of thinking about religion are so different. I was raised Roman Catholic, but I just never really bought in to the whole "Jesus was a man" and "Jesus is our savior" thing. I'm a little confused. Any non-christian advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in God but don't believe in organized religion. I just believe in being a good person. I hope that makes sense. Maybe some other people have some answers. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You can have values without religion. You can believe in a higher power without believing in Jesus. I've always thought that the story of Jesus was way out there and pretty unbelievable even though I'm not one to say that anything is impossible. Spirituality is a very personal thing and there's really no need to try and conform to what anyone else sees as truth because in reality none of us know what the truth really is anyway. Maybe try learning about other belief systems and see if you can find one that fits you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You're not unusual at all. Every atheist, agnostic, and any other non-Christian I know still have good values. You don't have to believe in God(s) or Jesus or the Spaghetti Monster or unicorns or whatever for that. "Christian" values aren't exclusive to Christianity.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Laura1229 Christian values aren't exclusive to Christianity. Are you saying agnostic and other non Christian have Christian values? If so, what are Christian values?
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 12:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The values that you're believing to be "Christian" are part of many religions, philosophies, and approaches to life. They are fairly universal, and to say that any one religion invented or promoted them more than any other religion is simply untrue. Follow your personal understanding of deity (or lack thereof) and you will find that path lined with many wonderful values, morals, and principles.

There are some Christians who don't believe in the Virgin birth and other parts of the Christian mythos... and yet they are devoted to that faith and tend to really represent the teachings of Christ wonderfully in their lives. And there are myriad other faiths and paths out there as well, some with many gods, some with no god, and everything in between.

The most moral, ethical, principled person I know is an atheist. You just don't find that kind of integrity and generosity much these days. He's much nicer than I am! LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2009