when should i start to teach him to fall asleep on his own in his crib?

what should i expect? what and how should i do things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our son fell asleep on his own around four months. He slept about six hours before waking and needing a bottle.

We always made sure he was full before bed and we had a CD player on very low with classical music playing. We did all this after a full bedtime routine of bath, turning down the lights, reading quietly and rocking to make him sleepy. When he was drowsy, we put him in his crib and sung to him and patted his behind a bit. Then we went out and closed his door.

He's now two and the routine isn't much different. We sing to him a bit and count numbers while patting his back lightly. I think it's almost hypnotic for him and makes him relax.

The key is consistency. There's comfort in routine. Start as soon as possible.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It really up to you. It will probably take some time and patience depending on how old he is...the older the harder. Mine is 18 months and still doesnt. I lay on my bed with her til she falls asleep and then move her to her crib. Unfortunatly, she cries if I try to put her in her crib awake unless its for a diaper change. I dont do nor will I ever do CIO. The routine we have works for us and its kinda our special time together. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Go by your son. Don't force him to do something he may not be ready for, but there's really only one way to find out and that's to try it.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My daughter started sleeping through the night on her own at 3 months. Put him to bed groggy - but not asleep. Let him learn that it's okay to do it on his own...might take a few nights of crying a few minutes...but it's worth it in the end. The sooner the better - it's harder to do it the older they get.

Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I never had any of my kids till they were around 3 and could understand time for bed. It's really all up to you and what you are comfortable with
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We moved our son to sleeping in his crib at four months. We co-slept before that, and there was much about co-sleeping that I loved, but I could never sleep very soundly with him in the bed with me.

My advice would be, as others are suggesting, to keep as much of a soothing and consistent routine as you can through the transition. If he already associates having a bottle, rocking, reading a book, listening to music, etc., with nite-nite time, it'll probably be easier to get him to understand that now nite-nite time is in the crib.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 10:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We started at birth. There was no "teaching". Put them down and they fell asleep.

And no before someone decides to be bitchy, I did not let them cry anything out. Lay them down nice and warm on their tummies, with a full belly and dry butt and they went right to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i don't mean anything bitchy by this, but you're really not supposed to put babies down to sleep on their tummies. it greatly increases the risk of SIDs.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 10:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2009