I am moving out of my apt

I gave a 30day notice to the managerON JUNE 4TH.yesterday she says are u ready for yopur inspection of the apt?i said this is first time i heard this.she says i told your husband or your son.i asked them theysaid no she did not.
well i let her inspect myapt.she tells me oh it going to cost you over$2000 just on the rugs alone.well she never did a walk through when i move in almost 3years ago can she do this charge that amount with out doing the walk in when we move into apt thanks

Debbie36

Asked by Debbie36 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• w/o her having done the walk through there is nothing to say the rugs were already like that in the first place, so most courts will say yes she can charge you since you didn't mention the condition of anything and had it put in writing and signed. call a lawyer in your area and see what the regulations are of it, but i know for a fact they can do it in norfolk, va b/c i just had a friend go through this problem herself.
    just when you move to your new place, if you are renting, before you even move in furniture ask your landlord to do a walk through with you so you can both point out any thing you may see, and have everything put in writing and signed by you, your husband and your landlord.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• They cant say anythign about the rugs unless then clean them first. Even then it does NOT cost that much to put in new carpet in an apartment. I used to be an apt. manager (as way my mom & grandparents)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You cannot be charged for normal wear and tear.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You need to contact your local tenants rights office. There should have been a walkthrough when you moved in, and the move-out walkthough should be compared to this.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Not to mention it would never cost $2,000 to replace or clean rugs. My husband and I own a carpet cleaning business and an average 2 bedroom apartment getting cleaning would only be about $150.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Will she let you clean the carpets & then do another walk through?
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Im notsure if they can or not. But I know a friend of mine had the same problem in an apartment in Vegas, so when I moved in to my new house, even after a walk through I took pictures of EVERYTHING with a date stamp on the front and back just to be sure they wouldnt try to come at me later with something. Next home/apt take tons of pictures.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2009