What's your opinion??

People living and working and receiving benefits in the USA and don't speak a lick of English????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do believe that they should know at least enough English to get by. We shouldn't have to learn Spanish because they made the decision to come here - they should be responsible for their decision. I understand "its hard", but if we were to visit somewhere we would at least get the basics of the language down first, so we can at least communicate our basic needs.
    Also, I believe that we should be stricter on the illegal immigrants here. I'm fine with immigration if its done legally, but its not right that there are people here illegally, especially in this economy when there are citizens here who can use the help they're getting, or could use a job.
    I'm sorry, and I'm not judging them, but there are rules in regard to coming here, and they should be followed. And enough English to get by should be learned so that they can function in our society. Its not that English is better, its about personal responsibility.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I think they should run for office. Our next President and Vice President shouldn't speak English..Oh wait Biden doesn't really speak good english anyway! HA HA
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Biden speaks too much English!

I think as long as they are here legally and pay taxes, they deserve the same benefits as any other American.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If they have been living in America their whole life there is no reason for them to not be able to speak the language. I can understand if they just got their green card, they won't know it inside and out, however if they have been living here for five years or more and still can't speak English, deport them. Resources are available for them to learn it for free, or h*ll turn on the English speaking television shows! And if you can't speak the language that your living in, why do you need benefits? Go to your own country asking for a handout. If your house is broken, fix it..... don't move into your neighbors house.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 12:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• it would help if our stupid elected officials would pass an official language... that being said. it is realistic that we could end up with a non-english speaking person as president. however, i cant stand when I have to press 1 for english for stupid companies. I hate when I go somewhere,like a fast food restraunt, and hear spanish more than I do english. it's ridiculous.
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 12:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i think its bull
    they should speak some english .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• They need to go back to their own country. Period. If they don't want to come here legally, then get out. I'm tired of paying for them to get benefits they don't deserve, I'm tired of hearing Spanish everywhere I go. If they are smart enough to get over here, then they are smart enough to speak English. I will fight with everything I have to make sure they do not get amnesty. I am also very tired of seeing Mexican flags. If they love Mexico so darn much, then go back to it. I think our so called politicians should start upholding the law and stop abusing it and letting illegals abuse it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I have to agree with Anon:26. I am tired of seeing the flags of another country, one that encourages people to come here illegally to help their economy, who want services, but will not go through the proper channels to recieve them. Who feel they have a right to be here. Mexico has the 4th toughest immigration policy for illegals in the world.

But ours should be open door? No. Go home. Come here legally, I will welcome you with open arms. Quit costing me and other taxpayers more than our share. Sure, some pay taxes - on other peoples SSNs and screw them up at tax time. I do not believe in amnesty - you come here illegally, you must pay the price.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 5:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• if you aren't here legally..then get out and go through the proper channels and come back.

if you are here legally, then you should at least try but if it proves too difficult then so be it..there's no law saying you have to be bilingual.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2009