I need scripture help!!!

I Corinthians 14:34-35
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are
commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask
their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

What does that really mean? Are women not really alowed to talk in church??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Let your women keep silence in the churches…." The original is, "Let the women in the churches be silent" (sigatosan ai gunaikes en tais ekklesiais). The King James translators infer "your" from the idea of the Corinthian women being addressed. However, it is evident that the women being addressed are not limited to Corinth. I say this based on the plural "churches" (ekklesiais, see also vs. 36). By "churches," the local church is meant. More precisely, "in a church" (en ekklesia, vs. 35) refers to the assembly as opposed to "at home" (en oiko
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• "…for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law." Paul with this explanatory injection states the reason why these women were to keep silent in the church. The applicable teaching to which Paul alludes probably looks to Genesis 3: 16 as its inception. There was something that these women were doing that was in violation of this general law of submission.
    "And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home…." All were to learn and be edified, but there was a circumstance in which Paul tells these particular women that they should ask their husbands at home. The original is literally, "…let them question at home their own husbands" (). Hence, these were women at Corinth who had "their own men" and they had, therefore, the opportunity to question their own men at home (they lived together as husband and wife).
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." Paul ends this with another statement of explanation as suggested by the introductory word, "for" (Greek, gar). The question remains, who were these women and what were they doing that constituted a violation of submission and resulted in shame? The answer, "…they were speaking" is simplistic.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It is obvious that I Corinthians 14: 34, 35 demands qualification and stipulation. In the first place, to take this passage and simply say women are not allowed to speak in the assembly negates the general command to, "speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs…" (Eph. 5: 19). Hence, qualification is necessarily inferred. As mentioned, to insist that women, all women and in all circumstances, be without sound in the assembly is to make Paul contradict himself (his teaching relative to the prophetess, I Corinthians 11: 4-16). Consider the statement found in the Pulpit Commentary regarding the prophetess being the obvious "exception:"
    hinson7169

• Corinthians chapter 14 is replete with instructions as to how to conduct themselves to avoid and obviate confusion (vs. 5, 6, 9, 16, 19, 23, 26-31). Paul plainly and cogently informed them that they were to be in control of themselves, even those who possessed spiritual gifts (vs. 32). I Corinthians 14: 34, 35 is sandwiched between verses that forbid confusion and disorder (vs. 33, 40). I, therefore, submit that what these women were doing was asking questions (the specific speaking) in the assembly of their husbands in such a way that both precipitated confusion and also resulted in lack of subjection to their husbands. These "women" were not all the women at Corinth, but they were married women. It is also implied that their husbands of whom they were to inquire at home and not in the assembly were in a position to provide the answers to their questions. Moreover, it is highly likely that their husbands were the prophets
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• concerning whom the immediately preceding verses pertain. Hence, these women were to remain silent or without sound (as opposed to speech) IN THE MATTER contextually being discussed, confusion and lack of submission to their husbands. As to other regulating teaching that is broader in its scope, we must look to such texts as I Timothy 2: 12-15.

hinson7169

• While I Corinthians 14: 34, 35 is characterized by specificity, women today can also create confusion in the assembly and be guilty of not being in subjection to their husbands by speaking out in such a way to similarly cause confusion. This is the paramount lesson found in I Corinthians 14: 34, 35. However, to simplistically, arbitrarily left verses 34, 35 out of their context and contend that there is contained in these verses a blanket requirement of the silence of women in the assembly is to defeat and ignore Paul's original application of I Corinthians 14: 34, 35 and make the passage collide with a number of other matters. (You may read an exchange that I had regarding I Corinthians 14: 34, 35 at the following internal URL: "An Exchange on I Corinthians 14: 34, 35 .") To read a related article, click on "I Timothy 2: 8-15, An Exegesis")

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• very interesting thank you for alllll that info, i learned a lot!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You must go all the way back to the 11:5. Very evident that women were permitted to pray and propehcy in church but they were not permitted to interrupt service by speaking in tongues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I'm gonna research this, pm me if you like :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2009