Well is it evil or isn't it?

As there was another snit fit of a question earlier tonight with someone just emphatic about how psychics, horoscopes, card readers, etc are evil and anyone using their services isn't a true Christian, I'd really like a straight answer. How do you explain the 3 Wise Men? They were astrologers. They studied the zodiac and the stars, and that's how they knew the kid was born and that he would be special. They weren't priests or scientists, they were Jeanne Dixon with beards.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Priests in the OT used tiles for divination... I wish I were motivated enough to find a reference for you. Apparently it was just that non-priests weren't allowed to. And NO WOMEN. The next thing you know, they'll be wanting the vote....

LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• it is evil go to blueletterBible.com
    and put divinationor /divintions in the search and see what I mean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• sorry divinations
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• And once again, still does not explain the 3 wise men...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Jeanine Dixon with beards....Priceless!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Oh noo now I can't get the bearded lady outta my head.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Doesn't that tickle?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• lmao too funny NP
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• "it is evil go to blueletterBible.com
    and put divinationor /divintions in the search and see what I mean. "

then by definition half those famous in the bible.. Noah, Moses, Jesus, are all evil..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The historical record of this event is found in the Bible book of Matthew. There we read: “After Jesus’ birth, astrologers from the east arrived one day in Jerusalem inquiring, ‘Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We observed his star at its rising and have come to pay him homage.’” (Matthew 2:1, 2, New American Bible) Why does this Bible translation call the visitors from the east astrologers and not kings?

The scriptures here use the plural form of the Greek word ma´gos. Various Bible translations render it as “wise men,” “astrologers,” or “stargazers,” or they simply transliterate it as “Magi.” This word refers to those who give advice and make predictions based on the position of the stars and the planets. The Bible thus identifies the visitors to Bethlehem as diviners, who used occult practices disapproved by God..
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2009