Natural Child Birth

Has anyone had a natural child birth? How was it? I mean yeah I know childbirth hurts (had a baby so I've had the labor pains) but I guess what I'm asking is would you have rather had drugs? Just asking b/c I always wondered if I could have handled it (well, if forced I would have had to) but if I would have caved and begged for drugs.

dawn_misayo

Asked by dawn_misayo at 12:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You can join the group (or just check it out) Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth and i'm sure you'll find some good answers there.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I had a natural birth. I would do it all over again with out drugs. I just told myself that I can do this and my doctor and me had a birthing plan worked out. Yes it hurt, but to be honest I really do not remember the pain.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My DD was born all natural except for the pitocin to induce labor. I I had know I could have, I would have asked for pain meds
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My labor was pitocin induced and restricted to bed. So it was more painful than the average labor. I asked for the narcotics, but the nurses talked me out of it until I couldn't ask for it any more. Then when I started pushing it magically didnt' hurt any more. Just when you think you can't do it any more... you don't have to. I would absolutely NOT change it. Well... I would be mobile and have my labor start on it's own :p But I actually want to go MORE natural next time... I want a home birth! I love knowing that I have the power to give birth without pain medication. The empowerment you get from giving birth without the meds is SOOOOO worth it!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• No, I didn't. After 14 hours of attempting with no medication, I caved and got the epi because my son was stuck and it was too painful. It may have been a good thing I did get medication because I needed a c/s due to him being turned in a bad position and not knowing it until it was almost too late for a c/s. I guess things work in their wierd ways for a reason.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My daughter was almost born on our bed, and my son I was induced. This wasn't my choice, but I'm glad he was cuz he was born on my grandfather's bday, but other than that he was a "non pain med" birth too. I didn't have to endure HOURS of labor though...If I had, I may have caved and told em to shoot me up lol!
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 1:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I had natural births with all three of my kids. I was afraid of the epi....heard too many horror stories. It really wasn't that bad. Like a previous poster said, just when you think you can't do it anymore, it's over. I guess I was lucky though. They had to induce me with my first because my water had broke, but I wasn't dialating. The worst part was being strapped to the bed. I went in at 10 that morning because my water was leaking, induced at 10:30, and she was born at 2:02 pm. So, I was only there for four hours before she was born, and I was only in hard labor for 17 mins. With my last two, I waited as long as I could because I didn't want to be strapped to the bed again....hahaha! With my son, I was only at the hospital for 30 mins; the doctor had came in and I was dialated to 10, but my water didn't break. The dr broke it and my son popped right out. With my youngest, I was at the hospital six mins when she was born.
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 3:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My natural birth was absolutely painful, never experienced that amount of pain in my life - it felt awful - but I'd do it all over again.
    I don't support the needless use of pain relief and epidurals during childbirth.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 3:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• *Almost* everyone who has ever had a natural childbirth will tell you they would do it again and that it was a great experience. Most likely if their experience was not great, they were in a hospital- but not always. You can't just "want" a natural birth, you have to really prepare yourself mentally and physically in order to have a the best birth possible. When not prepared it is too easy to give in. You should at a minimum read the Bradley books and practice them, and if possible take the classes. I have had both, and while my natural was obviously more painful, it was amazing and I would never have drugs again. My hospital experience with the epi was horrible and my baby and I both had infections from it, he wouldn't nurse bc he was sleepy from the drugs, it made breastfeeding horrible from the start, one side effect from the epi is throwing up which I did for 30 min. after my dd was born and couldn't hold her. Never again.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 8:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Lauren, you probably could have birthed that baby vaginally. The epi put you on your back in bed, decreasing the space in your pelvis by 30%. Babies are born sunny side up every day at home. It's harder and more painful, but being upright counts for a lot. Docs are just really quick with that knife.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2009