OMG ... Have you ever heard of this?

My brother's baby is 7 months old and very healthy and happy. Yesterday he was playing and everything was fine. Then, all of a sudden he passed out and started to seizure. They, of course, took him to the hospital to find out that there was a lot of blood filling up around the brain. Today they are draining the exess blood from his brain. I have never heard of this! Have you?

USNmomwife

Asked by USNmomwife at 1:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I haven't. That is a nightmare come true.

Praying for your nephew!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Did he have a head injury or something? a fall?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• no.. nothing.. perfectly happy and healthy.. just crawling around playing with a toy and just acted like he was super tired and fell asleep and started seizuring...

and thank you timeslessglass
    USNmomwife

Answer by USNmomwife at 1:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• encephalitis? look it up on webmd.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• blood clotting disorder?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I know seizures are scary my daughter had one when she was pretty young and actually turned blue. She was very dehydrated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• meningitis?prob not, just giving you ideas on what it could be??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Yes, but I work with a lot of medical issues. Common, no. But it does happen. They will run tests to determine what is the exact cause and go from there. Scary and horrible for the child and the parents. The swelling and bleeding indicates there is something going on besides just seizures. Seizures are scary just in and of themselves. Just be available for if they need you, don't pressure them into telling you exactly what is going on unless they volunteer it, and listen. Many times it is hard for parents to digest what is going on and they need some time and space to take it all in. Ask them what they need from you at the moment.  Any speculation would be irresponsible.  So many things it could be.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I don't think it is common but it does happen. There are a lot of times that seizures happen for no apparent reason. I would not want to give suggestions on what it could be, I am not a doctor and even if I was I would want to make an evaluation and exam. It could be nothing or it could be something serious. Let the doctors do their jobs. Be there for your family, help them out. Don't ask a bunch of questions, let them come to you with the info.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• my youngest has a seizure disorder - to date its still undiagnosed. there are SO many triggers for seizures (tv is one of the most common these days), fever, breath holding.... but the fluid around the brain definitely sounds like there's something more serious happening. They'll probably do CAT scans or MRIs - and whatever else needs to be done.

from experience of being the Mom that sees and has to hold her seizing baby - don't say OMG thats SO SCARY. we know, we can't control it and hearing thats so scary gets irritating. sadly we do get used to the seizures and know when its happening or going to so can isolate ourselves.

I would however take cues from the mom - help to occupy the other children. but DON'T make promises that all will be ok. don't make up stuff about what is happening to 'make them not scared'.

course thats all my person thoughts and experience.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2009