Getting baby to bed at night alone ...

My son is nine months old. He breastfeeds still, no bottle or sippy cup at all. We do straw cups throughout the day for juice and such. I have him sleeping in his crib for naps. He feeds until he is basically asleep and then I lay him down and sing or pat him until he is all the way out. I have tried this for night time but I am not having any luck. He totally freaks out. My husband is deployed and the other two children go back and forth from our house to their fathers so 50% of the time it is just the two of us. Can somebody please help me get him into his bed? He sleeps basically all night. He does roll over twice a night and nurse for about 10-15 minutes and then go back to sleep but never truly wakes up. I do not want to make him "cry it out" I live in an apartment complex with neighbors all around that do not have children. Thank you in advance!

sgtdyersgirl

Asked by sgtdyersgirl at 1:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that from what I read, you are doing a great job (yay momma, lol) and to just keep being consistant. I think its important to keep trying to put him in the crib at night and during the day - while drowsy (not asleep) and he will learn how to soothe himself. Does he have a lovey to put in with him? Something that smells like you? And I agree with swaddling, that helped me with my DD a lot (but only until about 5 months, then she wanted freedom). The way I did it was putting DD in the crib (drowsy), putting her music on, and smiling and talking to her for a minute before I leave. Then I would check on her in 10 minutes (if she cried) - lay her back down, put her paci in, talk to her for a minute and leave again. If she kept it up for 10 minutes after that, I would let her come sleep with me. Eventually she learned to love the crib, but it took time, I just kept putting her back in every day until she was ok with it. GL!
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 11:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I did the same with my daughter-- then i walked away and let her cry... she fell asleep within 5 minutes.... ill repost one of my posts i made earlier

tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• my daughter just turned 8 months. She's been falling asleep on her own for about two months now... i used to take her on a walk and she would fall asleep immediately. Now I lay her in her crib. Sometimes she falls asleep without even crying. Other times, like tonight, it took her about 10 minutes to fall asleep (she cried off and on). I lay her down when she is sleepy for her naps. Night time, I have a routine, dinner, bath, book, (playtime to tucker her out) and then bed time. I breastfeed and co-sleep too. She sleeps in her crib to begin with, then when she wakes up at about 1 to eat, i feed her in my bed (which is right next to hers) and then we sleep together till about 7 AM

-single mommy
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Check out Elizabeth Pantley's No cry sleep solution for a gentle and nurturing approach. A night time routine is very important (they need to know that this is BIG sleep time) as is mostly total darkness and no noise (or only white noise) it is also important what you do leading up to bed time and that is all in the book
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 2:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Do you wrap him in a blanket for bedtime? My son was a very colicky baby. I noticed with my son that he wouldn't sleep when he wasn't wrapped snugly, he would just cry & cry until he'd make himself sick. We couldn't console him.

So i bought one of those swadleme blankets for him, $11 and he falls asleep in about 5-6 mins. or so) He's been sleeping alone in his crib, all night since he was 5 months old. I also noticed that when he's wrapped up in the blanket, he doesn't roll over onto his belly. I don't know for sure if that's what it is, but i would say try it if you haven't already. If you've tried everything else, feeding, burping, diaper changes ect. and you know there isn't anything really wrong with him.. know what i mean? (Holding him until he falls asleep isn't good, he won't learn how to "put himself to sleep") which every baby needs to figure out at some point or they won't learn/know how to sleep in their bed.
    missy_J79

Answer by missy_J79 at 2:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i don't understand why so many parents are in such a rush to get their babies to be so independent??? like getting baby to sttn, on their own, is a big competition and the earlier our babies do it, the better we are as parents? some babies will sttn alone without any parent involvement, and others may not want to sleep alone for a while but are forced to (and to cio, which i think is cruel). what about following baby's cues? we are all individuals, why not treat our babies as such? not personally directed at you op, jmo.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We've been having the same issues with my son who is 11 months. We just bought a book by Ferber which does have a CIO method in it but it also had a good explination on why sneaking your baby into his crib doesn't work.
    The book talks all about how sleep works so you have a better understanding of what part of your routine is causing the problem. It's usually the parent doing something to prevent good sleep that you thought was a good ideabut it's really making it worse. For us it was rocking and feeding before ever bedtime and naps. It supports both crib sleeping and co-sleeping.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2009