How do you disipline a difficult 2 year old?

No matter how stern I am , he still acts up. He'll do the same things over and over that he knows he's not suppose to do. Ive tried spankings , time outs , everything. He just doesn't listen! Is this terible twos? My boyfriend thinks something might be wrong with him. I'm starting to think so to. He has speech problems. He will be 3 in Sept. . Please help, I don't know what to do anymore.....

luvmyangels3

Asked by luvmyangels3 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's probably testing you, thats what they do at that age, my two yr old tries to tell me what to do, and she means it too wagging her finger and all blah blah balh!! HA! But if you truely feel there may be something wrong, check with the doctor's, and oh remain strong, don't let the boy see you get mad, i swear they feed off of that!!! lol <<<
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 1:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Maybe he has a hearing problem? Since you already said that you and your SO believe something could be wrong, I would have him evaluated as soon as possible.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• never hit him anywher but the behind! but please do!no pain no gain!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Read up on child training. www.nogreaterjoy.org This will likely help you.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Take things away. Take EVERYTHING away if you have to. At one point all my daughter had in her room was a bed.
    Then she had to earn her things back by helping with chores and etc. Only took her a week to get everything back and now all I have to do is threaten it and she behaves better.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• NO to nogreaterjoy.com. Unless you like hitting your children with plumbing tubing, starting as early as four months!

I see that you've tried a lot of things, but have you tried the same thing consistently. By consistently, I mean ONE thing for a month. Not a day, or a week. It is SO hard to discipline two year olds, and have consequences, but it's necessary. They have to know the consequence and that it will happen before they can say huh, I better not do x, or y will happen. If they never know what y is, they can't really do anything different, because they don't understand the consequence.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We have more natural consequences, with time outs thrown in. If she throws her food, she has to clean it up. She no longer throws her food. If she colored on the wall, crayons go bye bye and she would clean the wall (with help, of course). Those are "naturally" going to happen. But for pushing and such, there is no immediate natural consequence, so we created one. So, if dd (also 2) hits, it's a time out. She doesn't hit anymore. We have effectively disciplined our 2 year old, and she is very well behaved. She doesn't get spanked.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Talk it over with his speech therapist. She may have some recommendations if it is related to his speech trouble!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• with love, compassion and understanding, if you can't teach wrong and right with words you will never teach him with violence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My two year old son is the same way, well I think he is starting to let up. I'm a loud person when I'm frustrated. So first, I had to stop speaking loudly, but more stern, it is working. I consistantly put him in time out for hitting, or screaming at his dad and I (out of hanger or demanding something) I explain why he is in trouble and then give him a consequence. I punish him for bad behavior, as I do for good behavior. When he does something well, even if it's simple I reward him with praises, and love, and sometimes at most once a day, I will give him a treat. He doesn't eat sweets at all, so when he and if he gets it he loves it.
    A lot of activities keeps him occupied. It's time consuming but 30 minutes to an hour dedicated to just paying attention to him and doing something hands on and active works really well for me.
    I hope with all the advice you get some good ideas.
    JackiesX

Answer by JackiesX at 12:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2009