Would you be upset or hurt if your fiance or husband had a pawn shop hold your ring for a loan?

My fiance and me are extremely broke and since he bought it anyways I willingly gave him my ring so he could get a loan from the pawn shop. We will get it back when he pays the guy back but I still am very hurt that he even thought to ask. There are some things that are just too sentimental and important to resort to using in my opinion. so I guess my question is should I be hurt like I am or am I overreacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• A ring is just a material thing. I mean I know what you're saying but a ring doesn't make or break a marriage. Don't worry about it, it's just temporary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would be a little hurt b/c my ring is the one thing that DH has given me (ok, I paid for it but he did pick it out, lol). But if it were a choice between food & my ring, the ring would go in a heartbeat. We went through some tough times & had to pawn some stuff but thankfully it never came to my ring. Hang in there, you will get your ring back & things will get better.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would be a little hurt, but if its and empty ring finger for a few days or an empty belly for a few days, i would take and empty ring finger. I would hope he would try to find something else before resorting to my rings, but i can understand it. we have had to pawn things, like his ps3, but we got it back a week later.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• A ring is material..although sentimental. I would not be mad though because as adults we all have to make sacrifices and if that is what I needed to do to pay bills or buy food then so be it. Its better than him out there robbing and stealing.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 8:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would be upset but only because my wedding ring is only worth $100 and I have other rings that are worth more (much more).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If it's for a good reason like diapers, food or something like that then it wouldn't bother me to put my ring up like that
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• ok see I should proabbly clarify on what he needed the money for.... We dont even live together yet... I live at home with parents.... he lives...well not sure...with one of his aunts lol... he moves a lot...but so he has a job and he gets 900 of unemployment...to be honest i dont really know what he used the money for... probably some gas.....or pool supplies since he helps his brother cleasn pools...but I just think a ring is a symbol of him saying he wants to marry me.... so I would think things like his motor bike.... or his x box or something like that would go before my ring...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• For me it would depend on the circumstances-- like what does he need the money for? How long will it take to get it back? What item/s of his is he parting with also?
    If there are other things - like a motor bike or xbox- that could go I would expect that to be gone before my ring is given up.
    If the money was to go for back bills or for my kids -you bet I would give up my ring. If it was just cause he needed money for 'whatever' then I would not be so generous - I would expect him to sacrafice his stuff first.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I just read your post OP. Then NO. It is not okay for him to take your ring. I thought u were living together as a family...struggling together. He is wrong for taking your ring.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 7:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2009