would you let your children be around second hand smoke?

My husband wanted me to hang out with his biker friends that he and his parents hang out with on friday nights. I drove my car and brought my 1 yr old and 2 1.2 year old. well, most of the people there smoke. I tried my best to keep them away from it, but by the end of the night I felt sick from all the smoking, I can only imagine how the kids felt. My husband was so happy we were there, but I hate that they were around all the smoking. I don't think I'm going back. would you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No probably not. Were you outside at least?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• yes, we were outside of starbucks. the kids were playing, but there were probably at least 10 people smoking in the area where we were.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Maybe have just a few of your hubby's friends over to your house at a time. That way you can socialize with them and the kids can get away from too many smokers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I hate when people smoke around my kids!! My daughters birthmom lit a cigerette in my car with her 8 month old baby. OMG was I hot!! My husband told her thats kind of disrespectful to us and don't you know its illegal to smoke with a kid under 12 in the car. She made a face at him and threw it out the window!!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• As long as you were outside it should be ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I never would ... I can't think of anything I hate more than smoke
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Some guy lit up at my 5 year old's baseball practice (a pipe, and it was clearly stated at the beginning that there was to be no smoking around the kids).

I promptly got up and moved myself and my two younger sons (who happen to be asthamtics) as far away as I could and still see my oldest play. I don't care what that jerk thought, either. I was clear to some of the other families why I moved, too. I have been shunned by the others ever since, too.

I don't care. I will not knowingly subject my sons to it. My husband and I are both former smokers, too....

My own brother smokes at times, and I will tell him to stay away from my boys, too, while smoking. (but he understands about their asthma)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My new In Laws, including 4 or 5 siblings are all chain smokers. My husband owns a double, one of his brothers lives upstairs and we live downstairs (or WE will, my son and I move in after school in one week...plus i'm pregnant)....this brother also smokes. Matt already told him NO smoking in the house anymore because I won't have my son and my unborn baby breathe it in. My husband quit years ago and he can't stand it either.

When we went to his brother apartment for Christmas dinner with his family I purposely did not bring my son....and I'm so glad after less than an hour the room had a thick FOG of smoke, it was disgusting and I had to leave. I don't take my son anywhere around them because they don't have common curtesy to not smoke, and his sister calls me "Spoiled White Trash" because of it....i say LOL, I'm the white trash? I don't think so!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would not have gone in the first place. I also keep my son away from third hand smoke as well....
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I probly would've taken them outside for a while to get some fresh air. You can't always protect them from everything, but it's okay to try ;) I would just wait and if it comes up again, maybe you'll have to let your hubby go by himself if you don't want your kids around it. Personally, I wouldn't have kept my daughter there.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2009