The similarities between witches and christians (or any other religions)?

Instead of focusing on the hatred that tears our religions apart, I was wondering what similarities we can find between each others religions? I know that several of our holidays are shared and the Christian "son of god" is very much like our Sun God. What else can you see that brings our religions together?

NightOwlMama

Asked by NightOwlMama at 3:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thanks for answering! What about niddah during a woman's period? It's a time of separation because our Law says the discharge of blood is unclean. Sex is forbidden and then we reunite again after 7 days like a renewal of our union. Do you have anything similar in Paganism? Or after childbirth there is a prescribed length of time for waiting to have sex after a boy and it's different than the time to wait after a girl. Are there things like this in your doctrine?
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 5:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Hi Mama. I've got a good one for ya here. I posted it ...last night? ...maybe the night before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ci613QcC5E

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We both focus and meditate. We do spells which are similar to prayers.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• wow. that's really sad.
    Everyone is willing to fight about what is diferent. but there are only two responses willing to recognize what is similiar.
    That's really sad.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• On Earth as it is in Heaven = As above, so below
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• oh I thought of more.. we both have a trinity, Ours is the Maiden Goddess, the Mother Goddess, and the Crone Goddess, (or Youth God, Father God, and Sage God) and the Christians have the father the son and the holy spirit.
    We have a God with antlers (the horned god of the hunt and the wildness of nature) and they call their devil the horned one. Of course the god Cernnous is older than judaism or christianity as far as I know.
    We use the cross in magick, and it also symbolizes crone magick because it represents the crossroads. It also represents the elements for us.
    We wear a star as the symbol of our faith and the wise men followed a star (and used divination) to find Jesus. Oh and frankinsense and myrrh were and are used to ward off evil and negativity. (Something I am sure Jesus could have used with that nasty king on his tail.) So the pagan magickal use makes sense in that context.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 3:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• An inscription to Mithras reads: "He who will not eat of my body and drink of my blood, so that he will be made on with me and I with him, the same shall not know salvation."

1 In John 6:53-54, Jesus is said to have repeated this theme: "...Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." (KJV)
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• How about the christian belief that the body is a temple? Witches believe that we are all connected and therefore what you surround yourself with and take in affects you.
    Also both beliefs fast as a spiritual quest or dedication.
    God says he gave Christians the plants and the herbs. People in Jesus' time were wonderful herbalist. The medicinal study of herbs, nature and her bounty is paramount in paganism. Hyssop was mentioned by David. Was once referred to as the herb used in purification: Psalms 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. It was also used for ritual cleansing and sprinkling of blood in the tabernacle Lev. 14:4,49 Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two birds alive [and] clean, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop.
    Hyssop in the Pagan tradition is used the same. For cleansing and purifying and exorcising.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 4:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I've recently found on CM that some Pagan moms dress modestly like some Christian, Jewish, and Muslim moms do. I'm talking about full head coverings and long flowing clothes that cover to the ankles.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Many of the magickal uses of herbs that pagans and witches now currently use were used in the bible for the very same reasons. Our herbal traditions and magick are the same! According to an ancient Christian tradition, Christ died on MAR-23 and resurrected on MAR-25. These dates agree precisely with the death and resurrection of Attis.

Baptism was a principal ritual in both religions. In christianity it it washed away a person's sins. In paganism it is used to bless.
    The most important sacrament was a ritual meal of bread and wine which symbolize the Jesus's body and blood. Witches have cakes and ale that symbolize the gods and goddesses harvest and at the death of the god at the final harvest the cakes and ale are meant to symbolize his body fallen in the harvest, and his blood spilt for the fertility of the land.

NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 4:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2009