My Son is starting nursery Advice please

Hello everyone !
My son is going to start Nursery in September and i needed some advice
on how to tell him that his gonna have to stay there with out me...
and what did you do when ur child first started Nursery!
I'm worried hell cry and wont what to stay Help Please...

Thank You for Those Who help me

n0emi

Asked by n0emi at 8:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi mom, I am a teacher and right now I work in a preschool.

The first thing you can do for him is to call it HIS SCHOOL. HIS BIG BOY SCHOOL. This way he has a good impression of it from the start, its his and its for big boys!

Then, buy him his own cool backpack....let him pick it out. Then take him by for SEVERAL visits, as many as you can fit in. Let him mingle....let him see the other children having fun together. Show him games or toys you see on the shelves. Introduce the teacher or teachers to him, talk about how cool and sweet they are. Act jealous, say " I wish I could stay at that cool place, they have cool toys"

Take a camera with you when you go, take a picture of his room, teacher, play area, let him brag to family and friends. Show him how to brag. "This is his playground, how cool is this" "dont you wish you could go grandma" "Check out his cool new backpack grandpa, he's a big boy now!!!"

cont.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• He will still probably cry, thats just the nature of going to school or daycare. But assure him you will be back soon, smile, kiss and LEAVE. If you stay and hover, it only makes things worse I promise, I have seen it a million times ;)

If you have a good and positive attitude about it, then it will rub off on him. Kids mimic their parents and see things that we dont realize they are seeing, such as OUR nerves or worries. DONT ever let him see you cry or be concerned, only happy fun coming from you!

OH and also, is this JUST a daycare or is is set up like a school. At his age he would get a LOT out of a school type setting.

What I mean is that some daycares are just play and care. Not bad, but others have a school time, where the children sit, do activities, listen, color, write, etc. All with their own teacher.

If there is anyway he could be in a place like that, he would probably enjoy it more.

cont.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• There is a really wonderful book called "The Kissing Hand" that deals with going to school/daycare, etc. It talks about mom leaving and how she leaves a kiss on the child's hand for him to keep throughout the day. It is really sweet! Also, just want to recommend to you that it helps little people if they can visit the place they will be going with mom. He can meet the teachers maybe some friends and see the room. This makes it easier on the first day if he is somewhat familiar with the staff.

Finally, and this is the hard part. When you take him to nursery, says your goodbyes at the door and tell him you will be back after (whatever his last activity will be). Then promptly leave and go on to work or wherever you are going. The longer you linger and hang around the harder it will be for both of you. If you hang around, it gives him the impression that you do not think he can handle the situation. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I rambled, sorry, my teacher comes out and I cant help it.

LOL, Hope this made sense and will help some. Remember, he will cry, but children get over things like this much easier than we do. lol He will be fine and he will probably learn to love it. Most kids do!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:30 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My daughter is starting nursery school in the fall. What I have been telling her is that she will go to school with her friends and Mommy will have to leave for a little while. Right now, she could care less about me not being there, she is pumped about going to school. But we will see when fall rolls around.
    fairysurreale

Answer by fairysurreale at 3:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I really would not worry about it. It depends on your child, if he is very close to you then he may cry but it just depends. My daughter is great with it. I would began to tell him how fun it will be and the friends he will make and even maybe get a video or two to help him. But the more you pump it up as a good thing he will be okay.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• On my daughter's first day (she was 2.5) of preschool she bolted from me as soon as we walked through the door; didn't even say good bye (I was sobbing).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Both of my kids are very close to me and I worried about this too. My daughter started preschool when she was 3, for 3 hours a day. I was so scared that she would cry, she didn't. She took her teachers hand and walked away without even telling me good bye, then when I came back to get her in 3 hours, she cried and pitched a fit that she didn't want to leave. I was a little hurt, but I told her that from now on she had to give me a hug and kiss and no crying when I pick her up because she gets to go back every day. Then my son went to preschool last year for the first time, he always insisted that I walk him all the way to the door (because the teachers would come out and get the kids) and always wanted his kisses and hugs. He liked school, but his face lit up when I picked him up. Even if your child cries, he'll get used to school and be fine shortly.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2009