Does Jenny McCarthy speak for all Autistic parents?

This question is in response from a post that I saw yesterday where one mom said she didnt and another one said she should. Where do you stand?

And BTW Im anon because I dont want hate mail from either side. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How can one person speak for such a large group? All parents of autistic kids don't agree so no, she can't speak for them ALL.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I was the one who said her voice should be hear just as the next mom who has a child with Autism. While her view may be different from some it doesn't mean she shouldn't at least be heard. However, that's how I feel all topics when one has experience with the subject at hand. She talks about her experiences with her son and Autism and what she says is the cause for him and since many feel that the problem could stem from vaccinations her experience may help some families. On the other hand those who feel strongly that it's genetic and feel there is evidence out there to support that then those parents have the right to voice that as well and so they should so that more families who feel that way can get the support/help they need in caring for their child(ren).

Until we get to the bottom of this I really don't think it's right for either side to squash the voices of opposing views.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• But no she does not speak for all Autistic parents. Anyone with half a brain knows that one person will not share the views of all people on one subject. Why is that so hard to wrap one's mind around and accept?
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I don't think she speaks for all. No one can speak for all of any group. I think she has a great story that can help autistic children and their parents, and can give them some hope that maybe no one else gives them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• She claims her son was cured. I don't agree with her views on Autism and many people don't agree with her so, no she couldn't for all parents of Autistic children. No, I don't have a link because I qm on my blackberry and it would be far too much trouble tp find a link.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I don't think anyone can speak for all members of any group of people. She can't speak for every single parent of an autistic child anymore than....I don't know, Newt Gingrich can speak for every single republican or Hillary Clinton can speak for every democrat.  She can be outspoken for that group, but that won't mean that she speaks for everyone in it.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• No. The reason is that she believes her child has been cured of Autism. Conventional and standard medical knowledge at this time says that it is not a disorder that can be cured. It is life long and prevasive. Many parents who do have a child living with this disorder experience that it is frustrating, difficult, and heart breaking. They also do not have access to the same resources and assistance as someone who is fiancially as well off as she is. Nothing against parents who have resources, if you have them you should use them. But Autism is a serious diagnosis. And I have seen images and videos of her son since then. To me, he still has signs of Autism. I don't think Jenny is a bad person or a bad mother. She is a mother who loves her son and wants desparately to believe that he will be normal like everyone else. No one parent can speak for ALL parents because everyone copes differently.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Absolutely not. Someways the things she says can be more dangerous then helpful.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Frogdawg - you bring up a good point. I remember years ago when Magic Johnson announced to the world that he had HIV the virus that causes AIDS. Since he had so much money and influence and resources he was able to proclaim that he was pretty much cured. I remember everytime someone died of complications of the AIDS virus or HIV those in the black community would mumble and say if only they had the cure like Magic Johnson.

Years and years went by after he made that statement and the man never looked sickly or anything. It was joked that he had the cure in his basement under lock and key. While I doubt he actually had the cure to anything like Jenny what they do have is what you said the resources to different treatments before it comes available to the general public. Her son being cured could be a mixture of treatments and wishful thinking. Still she shouldn't be quieted because her views are different.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• No way. She does NOT speak for me. She has every right to speak for herself and HER beliefs, but she also needs to provide some disclaimers since she is SO wrong on SO many points.

But...her opinion is her opinion, no matter how unfounded it is.

There is no cure. She claims there is. If there really was, it would be in the national news put out by all kinds of EDUCATED MEDICAL people! It would be announced world wide to help all autistic kids.

Hmmm...haven't heard that announcement yet.

I've thought she was full of bull ever since the original announcement was made. While she has brought autism more to the forefront, she is giving too many people false hope and giving too much misinformation.

And this...is my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2009