what to do with a rude kid on a playdate

my son has a new friend who he really seems to like. i have never met a ruder child. he barely acknowledges me, let alone listens to me when i tell him not to jump on the furniture at our house. i don't want to interfere in my son's friendships or be the psycho mom who disciplines other people's kids, but also don't want him to think it is okay to treat me that way in my house. how do i crack the whip without embarrassing myself or my son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Tell him that if he can't follow your rules then he can't come play at your house anymore.

If not, maybe do the play dates at the park instead of at your home?
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• How old is this child? I would not allow him to act that way in my home. You are the parent and if the other child's parent is bringing him to your house, everyone needs to understand, YOUR HOUSE= YOUR RULES. Tell him, at MY house, we don't jump on the furniture, we have plenty of other things to do.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If he is at your house and his mother isn't there you have to say something to him about his behavior. If his mother is there, you can talk to her.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Tell him that while he is at your house, he needs to follow your rules and if he doesn't then he goes home and doesn't come back until he is ready to follow rules and directions. You are not interefering with the friendship, you aren't saying they can't play together, you are just saying he can't play at your house until he is respectful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Sucks but you have to step up. You can ask the mom if time outs are okay. We do that in my house and do not put up with disrespecting anyone or anything. If he is jumping on things tell him next time he has to sit some where for a few mins and no playing if he can not follow you rules then no coming over
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• When he is in your house and the mother is not there, they you are entitled to let him know that he needs to follow the rules or you will take him home.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009