What is life like for a single parent with two kids with two different dads?

I am six months pregnant and my relationship is pretty much over. I have a 4 year old from a different man, so I will be a single parent with two kids with two different dads. Is there any hope of me having a normal life?

abs0726

Asked by abs0726 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My close friend has three children with two different fathers. The father of her oldest is not in their lives. She married the father of the other two. Her husband adopted her oldest child. They are doing very well.

As far as being single, you will probably face a lot of scrutiny, especially from the judgemental ladies on cafemom. But don't let it get to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• sure there hope for a normale life...but be smart about visitation if the dads get them...have the kids go to their dads on the same weekend so u can get a break and socialize...i have 2 friends who have 3 kids by 3 different dadies and the all have different last names...normal is all in how u raise them...as long as u give them a loveing home everything will be just fine.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Sure there is. Set up visitation so that the kids are with dads on the same weekend. You will have to do a lot of planning. Just raise your kids to be respectful adults that take responsibility for their actions. I am a single mom and know many other single moms and none of us have had any issues from anyone about our status as single parents. But I do agree that some of the moms on her will be judgemental and plain rude. Just ignore them and do what you feel is best for your kids, after all you are the mom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My oldest is from a previous relationship. I met my bf when she was just a little under 3 months old. We both now have a daughter together. I'm not going to lie.. I am embarassed. Whenever someone asks me where my oldest is.. and i have to say with him.. I don't like it. I don't like her leaving while we are still at home being a family.. i feel like something is missing.. granted she only goes over to his house thursday and friday for a few hours.
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 2:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• starmoonlight: your honesty is really appreciated.
    Anonymous

• My advice, is please never refuse the father's their children. As long as the father's are willing to be in the children's lives, then please let them. My husband has a son from a previous relationship, and we never see him. He is still paying his child support and it has been over 5 months since we have seen him last. The saddest part is that my husband did not find out he even had a son until his son was almost 2 years old. It has become a war between me and his son's mother. Since I found out that he had a son I have tried everything I could to get them together, but the mother just isn't cooperating. I fear the worst when his son gets older. I don't really know what to do with the situation. And now I am pregnant with a boy, and his "brother" won't even know him. So if I can give you any advice, it would be to work hard to keep the kids in their father's life.
    Mommy2be2709

Answer by Mommy2be2709 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2009