My daughter has just started rolling from her back to her stomach. When this occurs during naptime, or in the middle of the night she wakes up screaming. Any suggestions for helping her to feel more comfortable on her belly?

Jourdan

Asked by Jourdan at 9:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They make these little mat thingies, I saw them at Target, I think, and they prevent your kiddo from rolling onto their tummy while sleeping. It was only about $15. Maybe you could try that? It wouldn't help her feel more comfortable on her tummy, but maybe it would help her sleep better.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• mine did the same. I just made sure she was fully asleep before she was put down and that helped a lot. After about a week she stopped the screaming for the most part.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I always used one of the sleep positioners to keep my son from rolling over. At this age sleeping on their stomachs is not a good idea and stomach sleeping has been associated with a larger risk of SIDS. An example of what they are is right here:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2341851
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You could put pillows on each side of her?
    Platinum_Mommy

Answer by Platinum_Mommy at 9:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• have her spend more time on her tummy during the day. it may/may not help at night. some babies just don't like being on their tummies. kyrie loved it, but our neighbor's baby hated it and would always scream and cry anytime she was put on her tummy.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• oh, and if you get down at her level and/or put toys in front of her, she may enjoy tummy time more. good luck!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2009