What do the clothes sizes mean?

I do not understand the sizes! 2T 3T 4T.... I do not get it! My daughter varies between 3T and 4T and when people ask what size she is, I have no clue really what to tell them. If anyone can help me, that would be wonderful!

Thank You

Peng3

Asked by Peng3 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• T just means Toddler....typicaly a 3 year old fits a size 3T, but growth purts, being taller, shorter, thinner or bigger can vary the sizes. My son is 5 and still wearing many of his 4T items
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Also if people are asking because they want to buy an outfit or something always give the higher size she is fitting into...the 4T. That way she won't outgrow it too quickly. When I've done that and pants were too big for my son I'd use just 3 or 4 stiches on the inside to hem them, so as he grew I just cut those sewing and they'd be longer for him and his growing!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Yeah....supposedly age and "toddler" is all. The difference between a 4T and a 4 is the way they are cut and the 4 is a bit bigger.

My 2 year old is wearing some 4T's
    My 3 year old is wearing some 5T's and some 4's.
    My 5 year old is wearing boys 6/7.

It's just another way to measure. That's all. Just like all the baby sizes. It's a label. My 6 month olds never wore 6 month sizes...they wore 12 month or 18 month. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It really varies by the brand, carters is different from oshkosh ect. The sizes in each brand should fit the same the same. Just tell people she needs a 3 in oshkosh or a 4 in carters.
    poobaby1

Answer by poobaby1 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• For telling people what size she wears, you have two choices:
    Give them a standard... "She wears the 3T size in Carter's brand. All the brands vary but you can always hold up anything you are interested in getting and compare it to a similar item by Carters. Most stores sell Carters."
    OR
    Just give them the bigger size. She'll grow into it if it's too large.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Most sizes have height and weight on them in the store and with my son that is what I had to go by because he was so tall. I will still tell people to buy according to the height not size. I also tell them that if he is on the high end of the height to get the next size up so ut will fit longer.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2009