Should I potty train my 19 month old daughter?

I was going to start potty training my 19 month old daughter after this package of diapers runs out. She seems to be ready, she brings me a diaper after she poops and she will squat down and wipe herself (with her diaper and clothes on). But we just found out that my husband is going to be deploying in two months. Along with the deployment we are moving out of town so that we can be by our family while my husband is away. I know it isnt best to try and potty train during stressful situations, but I am not sure if it would be better to try now while my husband is home, or after we have moved in two months and given it a little bit of time. Please help me out with some advice! This is our first child and I just am not sure, I dont want to force it on her and then have her get too stressed out when daddy leaves and start having accidents.
Also, how long did it take you to potty train your daughter/s?

poobaby1

Asked by poobaby1 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter trained at 19 months! She sounds even more ready than mine, and mine did great. We moved straight to underwear, stayed home for a few days with the potty close by, and every time she began to have an accident (she wore underwear but now pants during this potty training event!), we moved her to the potty, explaining that's where pee/poo go. Every time she finished on the pot she was rewarded with a small reward and a big round of cheers. She had a lot of accidents that first day, far fewer on day 2, and by the afternoon of the 3rd day we were out of the house without a pull-up or anything! It took about 7-8 days before she would initiate it, telling me when she had to go every time she needed to, but it worked. Because she was so young and not waking up dry from sleep, we kept her in a "night diaper" for bedtime (just a regular diaper, of course). Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The sooner the better! No matter when you start there might be accidents, but she's definately ready.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2009