Why do people believe that if it isn't in the bible it didn't happen.

There are many ancient texts from Egypt, Babylon and even Israil that never made it in to the bible. Does this mean that the stories they tell are untrue? In a post from yesterday I made reference to the story of Lillith. Her story has been uncovered in early Jewish Texts as well as Babylonian.

The bible doesn't have her but many still have faith she existed... Why does her absence from the bible have to mean she didn't exist? As I see it all that means is that she wasn't what the writers of the bible felt was important... If they spoke about everyone that ever lived the bible would be masive and unimportant...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont believe that and I am Christian. I believe many things happened and people existed that are not in the Bible. I do however believe that God had control over what and who went in the Bible, so those are the things that Christians need to base their lifes on.

Not that the other things arent interesting or worth study....they are....just that as a Christian I hold whats in the Bible as more important.

Does that make sense, I have been rambling a lot this morning, maybe its the heat...lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Because they( the people you are talking about)are closed minded. To anything but the bible.

Answer by louise2 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• faith--why do people have to call people who believe in and live the bible close minded? Why can't you just live and let live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If they spoke about everyone that ever lived the bible would be masive and unimportant...

are you saying in its smaller form the Bible IS important?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I answered this and it got erased...maybe i forgot to send it... Something about men discovering books of the bible, women being invalid, hence leaving out lilith and mary magdelene, and that having no relevance to what should we believe because God didn't tell us what to leave out of the bible men chose it, it doesn't mean it never happened....I think that sums it up....IMO
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• for a few reasons...

if they told the story of others that were like Jesus (had been birthed a virgin.. performed miracles, ressurected, etc.).. the story of Jesus would never have been powerful enough to people to accept.

giving women power, would mean questioning the degree in which a woman was viewed at that time (which was little to nothing).

the rest, is because of politics and war fare.. admitting their stories were similar to other Pagan believes and were used in such ways as to make people fear them.. would show how low the political propaganda had sunk.

these were the only ways to really get what they wanted.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• From what I recall of Lillith, she was created for Adam before Eve was, but she was rejected because she refused to have intercourse with Adam in the missionary position, she wanted to be on top and in control, so she was cast out and god made Eve instead (who evidently was dumb as a box of hammers). Lillith is now usually considered a demon, when anyone knows who she is at all.

She was a strong woman who refused to submit to the will of man. I can see why the men who wrote the bible left her out in a time when women were nothing more than baby-making slaves for their men.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Koukla, that explains how and possibly who Cain married and had kids with. I always wondered if Adam and Eve were the only ones made, how more people were formed...I didnt know the story of lilith til now...And you go Lilith! I prefer being on top myself (the first woman's rights movement) i'm being silly now...sorry
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• As far as I know the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D. Constantine the pagan/christian ruler. Felt it was ok to take out books fo the bible and even whoole passages and change sentences to what they wanted them to be. So in a sense the bible we have today is still a great basis and should be read and believed, but do not shun the other books. The bible doesn't go into detail about Jesus's life. IT doesn't talk about Joseph's first wife or his children from her and only briefly mentions the fact that JEsus had brother's a nd sisters. A very common beliefe in the christian society if that Jesus was an only child and that MAry kept her virginity for her whole life. This is not true. If you read, the four gospel of the apostles you will see the brief mentions.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Jesus had siblings after he was born.. he was first born... it is often the linage goes through the first born.

The story of Lithith is a new one for me... I can see how she could have been a demon, Adam and Eve were created first but the Fall of Lucifer / Satan was before that.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2009