I'm 10 weeks pregnant, when should I stop sleeping on my stomach and back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ASAP!

Get in the habit now, I waiting until after I started showing, I'm 30 weeks and still haven't broke that habit. I wake up on my belly and back all the time. My doctor says not to worry, but I cant help but too worry!

Good luck mama

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. When youre big enough to feel the strain.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• They really say you should avoid sleeping on my back at 4 months, the stomach, well you'll start to feel uncomfortable doing it very soon. I had to stop stomach sleeping at about 8 weeks with my current (my second pregnancy) because I already felt very solid in my entire stomach area. So it's a good idea to get into the habit of not sleeping in these positions now. Get a body pillow to help you adjust and get comfortable!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My doctor told me around 20 weeks. However it might become uncomfortable for you before then. But definitely once you hit 20 weeks, whether it is uncomfortable or not, you need to stop. But don't worry if you wake up sometimes on your back. My doc said your body will warn you to get off your back or stomach, by making you feel uncomfortable or waking you up, before it starts to cause harm to the baby.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I read (I think it was in Pregnancy Week by Week) that you need to start sleeping on your sides, and the left side is best, once you hit 16 weeks. When you sleep on your back, your growing bump puts too much pressure on the main artery to your uterus (and your baby), which runs along your spine on the right side. Both your uterus and the baby need the blood (and oxygen in it) for healthy growth and development.

Good Luck and congrats!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 11:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• either side is fine doesnt matter which side you lay on..you wont want to sleep on your stomach much longer and you can sleep on your back till probably the third trimester you will know when you cant anymore im 25wks and i still wake up on my back.
    Anonymous

• Before i started to show I was always sleeping on my belly. then after i got to big to do that i was always sleeping on my back because that was the only way i could get comfortable. And my doctor told me that was fine and to just sleep how ever i could. But if you worry about it then i would start to get into the habbit now. You will always move in your sleep to a position that your comfortable in so even when your showing youll still wake up on your back or as far on your tummy as you can get without being on it compleatly.
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me that I could sleep on my stomach as much as I wanted. When it started to become a problem my body would naturally tell me to move. I still wake up on my tummy and I'm showing pretty well sooo. But you have to remember that you have all that amniotic fluid around the baby, it's well protected in there. And sleeping on your back is about the same thing, your body will wake you up or move automatically in your sleep if it's straining the back too much.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2009