Autism & Bio-med & DAN doctors

Am I the only one who thinks bio-meds and DAN doctors are just a money waster?

IMO, DAN doctors are just in it for the money and the parents are dumb enough because they are so desperate to try whatever the 'doctor' suggests no matter the price. And if your child gets better with diet changes then it was a dietary problem and thusly a digestive or allergy problem NOT autism.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have YET to know of any one whose kid was truly helped by one of those DAN doctors. They were helped with intensive therapy and with proactive parents more than anything.

Where I live, we have a very popular (known outside of our city) center for help kids with autism. They have NEVER once suggested either the diet nor are any of their doctors "DAN doctors".

That doesn't mean they don't help someone somewhere...but if it was a food or lack of a nutrient issue, then it's not really autism.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I have friends who swear by their dan doctors but I agree and feel that they are a waste of money and time......the test are expensive and alot of the treatments are experimental at best and none of their stuff is covered by insurance plans......yes some kids do get better with the special diets and you can buy the enzymes and vitamin supplements at most health food stores or online.....the food issues are common with some autistic traits,mostly behavioral and yes that can affect nutrition and the such, vicious circle .....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2009