Moving from bottle to sippy cup

My son turned one a few weeks ago. Our pediatrician recommended we stop giving him bottles of any kind now, cold turkey. He's been drinking water and juice from sippy cups for months, but when we try to give him milk--warm or cold--from sippy cups, he doesn't drink it. He'll take a couple of sips, but then he throws the cup down. Anyone have any advice on making this transition? At this point we've gone back to the bottles for milk, but obviously at some point we've got to wean him from bottles....

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 10:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe try to give it to him in a big boy cup?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I had a hard time getting my son off the bottle as well. The only sippy cup that worked was by gerber called the Sip and Smile. They come in blue, green and pink and have soft spouts like a bottle nipple and handles. Another thing you can try is getting one or two Avent bottles, using those for a day or two then switching to the soft sippy cup spouts they have to fit on them, that way it still looks like the same bottle (because it is) but just has a "flat nipple" or sippy spout to drink from instead. Once he's using that one for awhile you should be able to switch to a different sippy.

Also one year isn't that bad. Boys tend to have a harder time switching, my son didn't switch until 3....took awhile but it worked wonderfully with those gerber sippy. And his teeth are just fine! He is now 5!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Stop giving him anything BUT milk in the sippy cup. When he gets thirsty enough, he will drink from the cup. He's been drinking from the cup for months, the bottle could have been ditched a few months ago. There's no reason for it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I had to give my son the big boy cup first before the sippy cup, once he was used to that we went to the sippy cup and he was sooo happy. It was like getting a bottle all over again. Good Luck!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I used the NUBY brand sippys, they have a silicone spout so it is super easy to switch. My daughter wouldn't take milk from a hard plastic spout at first, but after a few months with the NUBY, she stopped being picky. It is just that first transition that is difficult.
    poobaby1

Answer by poobaby1 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My sugggestion is to get the transition package from NUBY, its got one thats kind of a bottle, one thats a sippy cup and one thats a straw, in that package, once u get to the soft sippy cup one i would try to use a harder sippy cup... Thats what i did with my daughter and it worked AWESOME
    clarasmommy08

Answer by clarasmommy08 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We do use the Nuby brand sippy cups with the soft spouts--thinking that would make for an easy transition from the bottle. And he's totally cool with the sippy cups for everything but the milk.

As for not giving him anything but milk in the sippy: we tried sending him off to daycare with only the milk in sippy cups and then he refused to drink anything all day long and came home dehydrated. Right now, I'm less concerned with taking a hard line to get him off the bottles, frankly, than I am with him getting dehydrated, which has serious health implications.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 7:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2009