Homemade Squash-mash

I am making most of my babyfood from scratch, carrots, potatoes, avocado, sweetpotato. Just simple things. I wanted to introduce squash to my daughter, but I am not sure what kind of squash would be best. Butternut-squash or ...? any ideas? I would also love ideas for other kinds of homemade mashes.

LilyandEmmasMom

Asked by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The baby food jars at the store always have pictures of acorn squash on them but I think butternut would be a fine choice. It has a mild yet slightly sweet flavor to it. Acorn squash would be fine to though or even pumpkin.

I used to make all my baby's food with the Magic bullet. Once we got past all of the introducing new foods I started just grinding up what ever we ate. (Spaghetti, roast beef w/ veggies, chicken and rice with peas...) to thin it out I would use water for most things but for creamier dishes like fettuccine and sometimes squash or sweet potatoes I would use formula or breast milk.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Our daughters LOVE bananacado mash (avocado and banana). I even think it tastes good. My blender sucks so I need to invest in a processor, but I have a mill that I bought for like 6 bucks in the baby aisle and its works great for anything cooked except for green beans. I also make riso (pasta that looks like rice) because its already tiny and mix it in with whatever cooked veggies and mill that. I made applesauce last night but it gave my babies explosive diarrhea all day today so I wouldn't give them too much of that. Maybe I should have mixed it in with strawberry or grapes or something.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Thanks...Bought a butternut squash today, so will try that one of the days. My daughter is only 5 months, so she is still new to all the mashes, but I tried a lot of different ones for my oldest, just never squash for some reason.
    YoungTwinMommy: I will try the banana and avocado, sounds kinda weird, but you never know :-)
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2009