How do I make dried pinto beans in the crock pot??

I have like 5 bags of dried pinto beans, and I know that there is a way to make them in the crock pot, I just don't know how, could someone help me out with that?

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 11:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• how many ppl r u making them for? 1 bag makes alot it dont look like it but it does. u just pour the beans into a bowl. check them to make sure they dont have any tiny rocks in them bc sometimes they do. rinse they with water. put them in the crock pot. they taste better if u put something in them like bacon or bacon grease is actually good in them.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• That is too funny! I am actually making pinto beans for dinner tonight.

Here is a recipe: Pinto beans recipe, Mexican-style, for the slow cooker or crock pot.
    Ingredients:

* 1 small bag of dry pinto beans (1 pound)
    * bacon
    * onion
    * cilantro
    * small jar of salsa, or to taste

Preparation:
    Rinse bag of beans and soak overnight. Next day put in crockpot or slow cooker covered with water, almost to the top; cover and cook on LOW heat 5 to 7 hours, until beans are tender. After about 5 hours, when beans are tender, fry up desired amount of bacon, onion and cilantro until bacon is cooked through and onion is clear; drain well. Add to beans, along with some of the drippings from bacon. Add salsa to taste. Cover and cook about 1 to 2 more hours.
    littllea

Answer by littllea at 11:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It seems that it isn't really recommended. Stove top is very easy. Here is what i found by googling.
    http://www.centralbean.com/cooking.html
    "...beans do not cook that simply in a crock pot. The Low setting is too low, lengthening the cooking time to 16 to 20 hours. And depending upon the age of the beans and the hardness of the water, the beans may not cook at all! If you cook beans on the High settling, a large amount of cooking liquid evaporates. You'll have to watch the crock pot to be sure the beans stay covered with liquid. If you want to experiment with your crock pot, try cooking soaked beans for 2 or 3 hours on High, making sure they are constantly covered by liquid. When they are just tender, turn the heat setting to Low and let them cook 6 to 8 hours longer. During these last 6 to 8 hours the beans wont need any special attention.

Answer by Bmat at 11:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Take your beans Like a cup of them..Put them in the crock pot..Ad a lot of water..I put bacon,onions,,garlic,,and salt and pepper in to the pot.Turn the crock pot on high ..Beans take a long time to cook..So every once in a while check on them..When they are soft ..They are done..Rice goes good with beans..Cornbread too.

Answer by louise2 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• First of all, I would store the beans in an airtight bag or container in the freezer so they don't spoil.
    I always cook beans on the stove, but I am sure that you can translate this to crock: 1 cup beans, 3-4 cups water, 3 Tbl olive oil, 2 heaping Tbl cumin. Bring to a boil, stir, turn down heat and simmer for 1.5-2 hours (I stir every 15-20 minutes). Add 1 or 2 diced onions, 2-4 diced garlic cloves, stir and simmer another 2 hours. Bite a bean; if it's mushy, it is done. If there is too much water, boil it off. Adjust the seasonings. DO NOT ADD SALT OR ANYTHING ACIDIC UNTIL THE BEANS ARE COMPLETELY COOKED; they could wind up tough or chewy.
    What do you do with your cooked beans? I make refried beans, throw them in pasta dishes, make chili, soups, tamale pie, burritos, southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2009