Is it normal to have fever after weaning?

Hello!

I stopped breastfeeding almost 2 month ago, and I still have fever ~ 100 F and my breasts have these 'lumps'. Most likely these are clogged ducts, and my doctor said 99.9% of a time it's nothing to worry about, but... it's not going away and fever is still with me. I'm miserable now. The gyno thinks I should check back with him in 2-3 months. There is no way to do a mammogram right now because of the milk in my breasts...
What would you advise me to do? Take it easy or try to find another gyno? I do have some insurance restrictions, so it wouldn't be so easy...

Tanya727

Asked by Tanya727 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Health

• 100 isn't a fever. Especially at night when the body's temperature is higher. 102 is a fever, but not bad. It sounds just like you have the milk drying up still. I had lumps for a while after I quit breastfeeding. I would also just follow your doctor's orders. I'm sure he knows what he is talking about :0)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Thank you for the reply! I hope you're right.
    They have different definition of fever in Europe. Everything that's higher than 36.6 C (97.2 F) is considered a fever. I've never ever in my life had 100 F for such a long period of time.
    Also, I'm scared because I knew a women who died of cancer in similar circumstances. She was breastfeeding, had a lump in her breast, was told by a doctor that it's pretty common and suggested to check back in 6 months. By that time cancer was spreaded up everywhere... So sad!
    Now you probably see why I'm so worried about my situation.

Thanks for the answer again!
    Tanya727

Answer by Tanya727 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Wow. That's crazy. A lot of doctors here aren't worried unless you have a fever of 103. Fevers aren't bad, it usually means you are warding off an infection. Although you may want to check back in if you are running a temp of 101F or higher and you are in pain and your breasts have red spots that are warm to the touch, b/c you might have mastitis which is basically an infected milk duct. I don't know for certain if you run a fever if you have cancer. My stepdad had colon cancer, but never ran a temp on a daily basis from what I can remember.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• No, there is no red spots, but it's tender. I hope it's not infected.
    Most likely I will give it another 2-3 weeks and go back to my gyno. May be they will be able to do ultrasound or something by that time.
    Thanks!
    Tanya727

Answer by Tanya727 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2009