80% of eighth graders in a chicago school being held back!

did anyone read/hear about that story?
The Parents are blaming the school, the school blaming the parents....
80% of 8th grade students NOT GOING ON TO HIGHSCHOOL!
can you believe that?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just read that! The school is blaming the parents and the parents are blaming the school. Meanwhile, the kids get screwed. Nice.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• They are both at fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Link?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

•  OP here:

School can only do so much- they contacted the parents and sent notes home... But I have to wonder, if 80% of your students are failing why not offer more help, give more extra credit, tutors, less homework and focusing more attention on learning while in class. There had to be ways for the school to get involved and help even if the parents didn't?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The school is blaming the parents and the parents are blaming the school. Meanwhile, the kids get screwed. Nice.

It is probably a little of both. We have a generation of uninspired kids right now who have parents who ignore them because they are so self absorbed. The parents expect the schools to teach their kids and discipline them. The schools are filled with teachers who after years of abuse by parents and students don't care anymore. Schools need to be overhauled and parents need to start being parents.

Instead of turning the TV on at night play a game or read to the child. Instead of playing on the computer all night take a walk and interact. I am not talking about anyone right here but society in general. Parents have to start disciplining and being parents until their kids are adults.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92702/?fp=1
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Education begins at home. I think everyone (The parents, the teachers, and the kids) are at fault here.

SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 11:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I guess I would have to know WHY these kids are being held back. I agree that is it is the fault of the parents, the school, and the child as to why there are so many being held back. It is the school's job to teach the students to the best of their ability, offer as much extra help as they can for the students who don't understand or have trouble, and grade fairly and appropriately based on what the child should have learned. However once that child walks out those doors at the end of the day, it is the CHILD'S responsibility to do their homework, study for their tests, and come in for extra help if they need it. The parent should be there to enforce that and make sure the child is doing what they are supposed to be doing. If that is not going on, that is not the school's problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Yeah, that's rediculous! I'm just glad I live in an area with decent schools.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• OP here:

Its OUR responsibility to be looking after OUR childrens education! Making sure there homework is done and looking at tests scores and keeping communication open with teachers. How can you blame it all on the school!? education is ultimately the PARENTS responsibility, you no your child has homework everyday, yet you NEVER see him doing it? You no your child has tests and quizzes, yet you NEVER see him study for them? they can only teach, its our job to make them learn!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2009