Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do?

I don't mean to do into stuff on here, but i'm not sure what to do. My daughter goes to her fathers, 3 weekends a month, and he is not providing the things she needs. Such as: Food, clothes, hygiene. I have mentioned to him that she is on a schedule, and is used to it, and now i have started potty training. He doesn't seem to be helping with that either. So what i am asking is should i call CPS about this, or what should i do? It has been since October 2008 this has been going on. And his house is a mess. He doesn't clean, there are fleas all over. So someone please help.

Answer Question

Asked by Baileesmommy111 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • That's a tricky situation without knowing all the details, but I'd talk to him and his family about it and if you thought she was going hungry and he's not taking care of her then I wouldn't let her go there anymore. How old is she? Have you asked her how comfortable she is and what she wants? She needs her dad in her life, but maybe if he lives close you can ask that he doesn't keep her overnight. Maybe he can take her on day outings. At least you'd know she's not going 2 or 3 days at a time without care.

    Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • What does you lawyer say? It sounds like nasty living conditions. Good Luck

    Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • Fleas? You need to do whatever you can to keep her out of there.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • My Lawyer says to file a petition violation, but if i do that we have to go back to court, and i dont have the money to take him back to court :(

    Answer by Baileesmommy111 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • If it were me I would give it one more stab-
    Talk about it when you aren't irritated and not when you are dropping her off. Tell him the truth, the baby is coming back with flea bites, not clean, and it doesn't seem she's eating right. That you want him to see her and them to have a good experience, but you think he might need a little help getting to that point. Offer to help him clean up his house and even send a bag of foods with her that she can eat (maybe he'll give you $ for this?).
    This sounds like the push over response, but she is number one now, not the two of you. So you will have to do whatever it takes. This may have more of an impact than even CPS, because then there will be more 'bad blood' between you.
    And yes, if he refuses to let you help him or take the advice - call CPS.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.