parents on cell phones at the park -- what do i say to mia moms when their kid is pushing mine

beautiful day at the park until little mr. monster runs over my kids sand castle, then steals her shovel. my don't mess with me kid asks for the shovel back and said monster child pushes her. i say, politely, "we don't push. We brought that shovel from home. may we please have it back. you can take a turn when my daughter is done." at this monster runs off. i'm not going to chase the kid, so i try to console my daughter. we decide to leave shortly after so i go to monster and say "we are leaving now, we need our shovel back" at this point he starts wailing and the formerly mia mother miraculously appears and starts yelling at me for trying to reclaim our shovel from her child. she was so worked up, i left the park and the shovel (which happened to be a favorite because it was really sturdy and green, our favorite color this week). i'm still fuming. how could i have handled that differently?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I wouldn't have left without the shovel. It sounds like it was pretty horrible. If she was really going off, I don't know what I would have done. I would probably be in the same situation as you without the shovel. The only thing I can think of is that I would have taken the shovel from the boy as soon as you went over to your daughter and the boy. You might have still ended up with an upset mom, but at least you would have gotten your shovel. it doesn't sound to me that the other mom was very mature or would have allowed you to handle the situation in a more appropriate manner than you did.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Tell her HELLO he took that from MY kid without asking and since we are leaving I need it back, or you can just pay me for a new one
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would have just taken it from the kid no compromising with long explanations. You had every legal right to it. Mr Monster would just had a long lasting temper tantrum that's all. Believe it ornot sometimes moms can back each other up as strangers. I was at our pool with my kids and there was dancing for the kids. Two girls kept circling my daughter, one was most aggressive about it. I kept out of it to see what my dd would do. She moved several times within the dancers to get away but they kept following her. Finally I went up and asked the instigator what's going on, my daughter is not bothering her. Then all of a sudden instigator's mother comes up and asks me if there's a problem. I said yes and explained firmly but very calmly. That mother immediately on the spot told her daughter and the other girl to go sit down. She went and talked to them. Her dd bawled and bawled, bawled.Then she apologized to my dd!!!!
    Anonymous

• I would have said.... "I'm sorry you are offended, but I would like to have our shovel back. I didn't buy it for your son"
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I agree I would have told the mother that it was our shovel and that her son had run off with it. We needed to leave and he needed to return it now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Well first of all you should have asked for the shovel back ( which you did) than when he refused i would have went over to his mother and made her give it back and if she started screaming at me I would have taken the shovel than told her I see why her child is the way he is. I think you did the right thing talking to the child first but you should have addressed the mother immediately on her kids behavior. I would want somebody to tell me if my child was being disrespectful even if I was on the phone. And I wouldn't leave the shovel for nothing because you just gave in to the lil monster probably like his mother dose anyway.

Anonymous

• Isnt it funny how when someone's child is being bad and bothering other children their parents are no where in sight. But as soon as their child starts crying and your standing beside them upset, they come running accusing you of harming their child. What idiots. Anyway momma, i feel your frustration, i guess i would have done the same as you did.
    Anonymous

• Stand up to teh kid and the mother they ran over you cause you let them. Take it back. I dont let my kid take things or push kids so I dont let others do it to mine. it is hard to be nice sometimes you have to be tough and stand up.
    Good Luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2009