whining

my DD (17 months) is constantly whining and whimpering and it gets to the point where i just cant stand it anymore. i dont understand why shes doing it. all i hear all day is uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh mama uh uh uh uh uh uh!!!!!! i just cant listen to that noise anymore. yes i am first time mother but shes so smart and she knows how to talk very well! how do i get her to stop?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my kids start whining I tell them 'no whining, I can't understand you' and if they keep doing it I remind them 'no whining!'...everytime they start just reminders usually make them stop. If it doesn't I look at them and whine really bad 'i can't understand you when you whine like this, you sound like you need a nap when you whine like this' (all in a whiney voice so they can hear how they sound when they're whining) or you can just get on your knees and whine their name while pulling on their shirt or something like they do to us all the time. lol I think seeing what it looks like and hearing what they sound like should make her stop...if it doesn't just keep reminding her 'no whining, use your words' and don't get her anything if she's whining for it, if she doesn't use her words she doesn't get anything!
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I know it is hard..but, if she can talk and knows how to use her words. then tell her you will not talk to or listen to her as long as she keeps it up..But, when she is ready to *talk* then you will be more then happy to give her what she wants.. *Give her a warning first, like no no whinning, or you want get what you want* If she wants somethng bad enough she will stop, or just give up on it, and go play somewhere..as long as you dont give it.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My daughter does that sometimes. Usually while she is teething and if I am doing something that she feels that I am ignoring her. If I give her a little attention, sometimes just talk to her, she gets all happy again and is fine. My daughter is almost 18 months. Maybe she just needs a little attention, what are you doing when she whines at you?
    Anonymous

• I can't hear whining, I only hear big girls. Do you know where I can find one to talk to?? That always worked with mine. Good Luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 1:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• When you find out let me know...Mine cries over everything and does not understand me saying don't cry I can't understand you...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• LOL Kustom, I love it! I'm using that one, although I think we're past the whining stage (knocking on wood and crossing fingers just to be sure). I pretty much would just say "stop whining" and then would completely ingore him for a minute. If he kept on doing it, I would repeat "stop whining" and give it another minute. The second he stopped and used a regular voice, I would respond. Worked like a charm!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2009