prostitution...

So we did this assignment in one of my Psych classes and it was pretty fun thought id see how it turned out on here!!!......

If we could tax prostitution and follow certain guidelines like
-frequent drug/std screening
-may only take place in brothels to insure both parties safety
-......?

Do you think the Gov't would legalize it Everywhere..(i mean its all about getting tax dollars right?)..?

Would you think that it would be okay, why or why not?! And i know plenty of people dont agree with prostitution at all, but its not about if YOU would do it, its about it being legal for those who want to...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would absolutely agree with it.

As a PP said, there is a reason why it's called the world's oldest profession. Make it legal everywhere, regulate it, require safe sex practices, do monthly health screenings. The economy is horrible, and so much money goes into prostitution, imagine how much extra tax revenue that would bring in?

Ever hear of the Bunny Ranch? A very high price example, but a good one. There is a 'House Mother' who deals directly with the girls, they have to use condoms, they get VERY regular health screenings, etc.

There will always be prostitutes, people will always go to prostitutes, and having it illegal doesn't prevent any of it, including cheating. I would at least like to know that if I found out my DF DID cheat on me with a prostitute, there was very little chance that he contracted something and possibly gave it to me.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 1:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Personally I don't think it should be made legal. There's already so many cases of STD's it's not even funny and do you SERIOUSLY think most prostitutes will actually practice safe sex? For me it's just a way for a women to have no respect for herself or her own body.
    Soon2Be8489

Answer by Soon2Be8489 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i dont think taht would be smart because do you know how many of them are not in it willing how many are forced how many arent even from america .
    it would just be legilizing human trafficing
    Anonymous

• Honestly? Nope, wouldn't happen. Why do I think that? Simple: Gay people can't marry in California. Why? B/c people voted and said no, based on their personal beliefs. Most people believe prostitution is wrong, so the gov't would never do it, b/c they know all those people would get mad.

Personally, I think it would be a good idea. My ex cheated all the time, and if there had been something like what you describe above, perhaps he would have done that instead, and saved me all the fear that came with the constant STD testing I went thru b/c I was afraid of what he might have brought home. It would also allow the cops to focus on bigger things.

But again, won't happen.
    Anonymous

• It would still be wrong, because there is the human trafficking factor. Not all prostitutes are willing parties.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I think itd be a much better situation that prostitutes getting locked up or whatever, and if they could ensure a std free envrionment thats cool. but i also agree with PPs about trafficing, so if we could ensure the girls at the "brothels" were doing it by choice then sounds good to me!!
    Anonymous

•  It's not the govts place to tell consenting adults what they can do to or with their own bodies, period.

Legalize and regulate.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Legalizing and regulating would actually cut down the human trafficing. Do it like they do in Nevada where they have to get license and tests. They do under cover stings once in a while to make sure safe sex practices are being used. It would do a lot for the economy (tax wise) and for the girls doing it.
    Anonymous

• How would you regulate quality control? Would someone that wasn't able to 'finish' be able to get their money back? Would you have to have a written contract to determine the actual agreement that you make with your prostitute? Would the govt. have a Ho Czar?
    Anonymous

• What would be the licensing requirements? Would there be continuing education that they would have to complete, much like other regulated industries (like cosmetologists)? Could you fine women that are 'operating' without a license?

I think it's more likely that you would just be able to try to regulate the brothels that are already in operation and running 'legally', all others would just skip the regulatory process and keep earning money under the table. This is a business run by criminals, they aren't about to be regulated.

Anonymous