I smoke my children do not.

My kids do not want to bring my grandchildren over if the house stinks as they say. I am disabled I cannot go outside to smoke all the time. I want to see my grandchilden without an argument. Other than quiting what takes cig smoke out of the home?

sherry2031

Asked by sherry2031 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Buy some interior plants that might be able to filter the air.
    Buy an air filter.
    Try and smoke near an open window if you can't go outside.
    Try to air out the house before they come over and spray some vinegar from a bottle and buy some Fre-breeze spray stuff.
    BUT SERIOUSLY - IT'S YOUR HOUSE, YOUR LIFE AND YOUR LUNGS. How much damage are they alleging you can cause their little prince & princess by visiting nanna for a couple of hours every couple of weeks.
    P-L-E-A-S-E..... What a crock of rubbish. Do they buy their kids MacDonalds at all? There'll be more carcinogens in there, or a soft drink, or their toothpaste or on the floor after mum mops up with a chemical cleaner.
    Sounds like your kid & in-law are pains in the bum if you ask me.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Maybe to re-paint?
    Anonymous

• What can you do really to quit? Some people are so sensitive that even air filters don't help. I bet your family would love you even more if you quite because they could probably love you longer.
    Have your family pick you up and meet in a restaurant or at their house. I know it's a personal decision. Good for you for asking for advice. My sister in law reeks of smoke even though she smokes outside only. It's hard for smokers and nonsmokers to be around each other sometimes. Focus what's best for your grandchildren for them to see you often for a long long time.
    Anonymous

• My mother in law stinks like smoke too! None of us smoke, she's the only one in the family and eventhough she smokes outside or with her car windows down she still stinks and we all gag when she walks into a room. lol I don't know what gets rid of the smell....I don't think anything really will completely. Think about what your grandkids are inhaling just sitting on your lap after you've had a cigarette and are covered in the smell and nicotine.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You need to get an ozonator. It's an air filter that creates a chemical reaction resulting in ozone. The ozone binds to odors and neutralizes them. We got one when my husband accidentally set fire to our kitchen, resulting in a smoky smell on everything porous. We ran the ozonator for about 2 days, and it neutralized everything.

The bigger problem I see is your insistence on smoking. I won't let my father come near my kids if he smells like smoke. As far as I'm concerned, he's choosing his habit/addiction over his grandchildren. That's his choice, and I am living with it, but I do not have to subject my children to it.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Seriously, you sound like you're entitled to see you grandkids. They are your children's kids and they have their childrens best interest at hand. You should also.
    Meet them in public area's, make sure you shower, wear freshly cleaned clothes and DO NOT SMOKE when visiting with your grandkids.
    You don't want an argument, then put your grandkids health and well being over your addiction/habit.
    And it's not about the smoke, it's all the chemicals in the smoke. They are not good for anyone, let alone children whom have delicate lungs. When they are in your house, I'm guessing they touch things, sit on your furniture, touch you. Well, what do kids do, they put their hands in their mouth. So, not only are they breathing those chemicals in, they are ingesting them as well.
    I doubt your children want to keep your grandkids away from you, at the same time, they don't want their kids exposed to those chemicals.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I agree with your kids a LOT!!!!

We dont go over to my MIL house b/c she smokes and her house and cloths smell TERRIBLE.

I dont want my babies and their things and cloths to smell like it and I especially dont want them to breath in the horrible chemicals that are in the smoke.

There is nothing that can get the smell out of your house except for stopping smoking in it and cleaning it. Even then it would take quiet a while before It smelled normal again.

Like the above post said, you sound like you feel entitled to see your grandchildren. Well, you are not. The parents are trying to make the best decisions for their childrens heath and well being, you have to make decisions to. If your decisions mean that you cant see your grandchildren, then thats your fault....not theirs.

Go outside, as hard as it may be....go outside. Or better yet, quit.
    Anonymous

• Really, seriously, what's worse for the kids in this day and age - the emotional and developmental scars of not being able to learn from, enjoy the love of and visit nanna or a couple of hours here and there that they may have to smell the aroma of old cigarette smoke?

I think your offspring are drama queens and attention whores.

Why don't you tell them you've given up and ask if they can help you paint and dryclean all of your soft-furnishings and do some shopping for plants and air filters> Do you think they'll help you?
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You do realize that is is coming out of your pores. The multiple chemicals in cig change your body chemistry. It is not just the house. It's in you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2009