DH skipped out on rent in the past--will we be homeless???

Ok, so I know this is really stupid & I'm not looking to be flamed here. But I recently found out that DH has 2 judgments against him for prior rental houses. He claims they are misunderstandings but the fact remains that he left without paying the final month of rent & was also charged for damages. One of these is showing on his credit report for sure. The other one isn't (not sure why since it is older) but of course, the info would surface if anyone talked to the landlord. We are leasing a house currently but for some reason, the landlord didn't run our credit so we squeaked in here. But our lease is up in a month & since we can't exercise our option to buy, we have to move. I'm terrified we will be homeless! We don't have the cash to settle these judgments. How do people rent houses with bad credit? Is there anything we can do besides cross our fingers & hope?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• Some people look at how old the things are, and how many "good things" you have going since then...for instance, you have the place your in now, good payment history i assume....and if nothing else is extremely wrong with your history you may be okay..your renting..not buying..getting a home loan with bad credit may be much harder these days.i dont have the best credit..but ive never had a bad problem renting...my SO doesnt have credit at all..and hes got past due medical bills so i guess it just depends, most landlords these days just want their places rented...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• How's your credit? Can you maybe just rent a house in your name only? I used to put the lease in my name only b/c my ex was an idiot loser and I wanted to be sure that we wouldn't get screwed b/c of him. If they are misunderstandings, why doesn't he dispute them? By disputing them, I believe it would show that he is doing so and that might make it easier to find a place to rent. Otherwise, i don't really have any other suggestions right now.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You should be ok. Some landlords check and some don't. It's too bad your husband didn't clear up the "misunderstanding" but what's done is done. I will be honest that I wouldn't rent to you, and I would require both of your names on the application since you are married. Rental agreements are not like purchasing agreements wherein only one spouse can purchase a house. I've been burned before by "misunderstandings" so now I am very very careful about who I rent to.

Anonymous

• OP here: My credit is ok. I had a messy divorce several years ago where my then DH would be late on the mortgage payment just to be mean. But I owned a house with the ex & our rental history was good. With my current DH, our rental history for the past year on this house is good & it will be in excellent condition when we leave. I'm not sure why DH didn't dispute things. I know the first place he left, he moved out of state. Apparently, months later he received notice that a default judgment had been entered against him b/c he never showed up in court. He knows he skipped on the rent but he should have disputed the damage claims. We aren't trying to buy right now, just rent.
    Anonymous

• I'm curious though....typically when you rent you give your first months rent, and either one or both of last months rent and a security deposit....so when he left the landlord would have just kept the last months rent already paid OR the security deposit to cover it....so there should never have been a n issue to begin with. Also, unless it's a complex or a landlord who makes his business out of owning several properties to rent most average home owners who rent out an apartment don't do credit checks, most wouldn't even know how to do it!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You won't be homeless. If you explain what happened most places will still rent to you, especially if the judgement is old. Most private owners don't do credit checks, apartment complexes do but their guidelines vary from corp owner to corp owner.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• OP here: I don't know for sure what happened. I know with the second place, he only paid first months rent & a deposit (that was all they asked for as the place had sat empty for months) so when he left, he still owed the last month & they said the damage exceeded the deposit. On the first place, that was way before we met so I don't know what he rental contract was. But I know they said they had to replace all of the carpet & paint everything. I don't know why he didn't fight it, I'm just trying to figure out our next step.
    Anonymous

• I have had something similar happen so I believe your DH. I lived in an apt in CA and moved to AZ. There were 4 roomates there at any time but it rotated since one person would move out and another would move in. We were the last to leave and actually close the rental agreement that had been transfered so many times. Since some of the guys were military they did not have to pay a full deposit to move in, but it did mean at the end we owed for paint and carpet cleaning....it was less than $200 and we paid it. Then a year later I was contacted by collections saying it had not been paid. Fortunately I kept records and had the copy of the check... Turned out the apartment complex contacted all 4 of us with the same collections letter.... they tried to collect that money 5 x. Since I had proof of payment I was able to save us all... but no one else had kept it so they would have been screwed.
    Anonymous