My dd is 12 months and only weighs 17 lbs. The ped says she is underweight and I should feed her more. I have been trying but she won't eat. She is happy and health otherwise. What can I do to help her gain?

MONIVEMOM

Asked by MONIVEMOM at 12:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is she's happy and active - let her be.

my middle dd is very tiny. she didn't weigh 20lbs until about 18-19 months. at 12 months she was 16lbs. but VERY active and had a very high metabolism. she's also got the small petite genetics. even today at a month shy of being 6 she's only 35 pounds (my 2 year old is 28lb)

what sizes of people are there in your family? if there are small petite people then maybe she just got more of those genes. my oldest is VERY tall and lean, middle is tiny petite and fragile looking (she's all muscle though) - there are all kinds of factors in being smaller. food and caloric intake does NOT always mean a kid has a problem and is starving.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Maybe ask about giving her Pediasure.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We have been going trough this since my DD was 9 months old! If she won't eat more try to incress the fat in the food she does take in. Avocado it a great helper. It can be used in so many ways and is very high in good fats. Cut up, smashed and spear of tortillas and can even be used smashed as a butter replacement for 1/2 of what is called for in most baking. Whole milk yogurt (a big tub is less expensive than the Yobaby stuff) is a good snack or breakfast food. It is also good to mix into oatmeal. Cheddar cheese is high in fat. Add a little olive oil to her veggies. Pediasure is good but expensive my Ped told us to keep her on formula til 18 months mixing it up as 1.5 scoops per 2 ounces to increase it's nutritional values. She is now 18 months and 19 pounds petite. Also look up the underweight babies group. They have been a big help to me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The little boy that I've been taking care of the last 2 1/2 months is 11 1/2 months and weighs 14lbs. The thing is he eats 24/7. Everytime we go someone people ask how old he is i telll them and they like freak out.They think he's 5-6 months!! I give him vitamans he drinks pediasure and i he drinks soy milk for the extra protein. Nothing helps he's just staying small. Finally getting a little taller though!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• That is true to hypermamaz. My DD is now 18 months and thought hey keep a very close eye on her weight and height they have told us she is just petite. They ran their test and did their x-rays and found nothing. i do have to bring her in every other month to get weighed though. In the 2 years she has only gained 5 pounds. Still rearward facing in the car!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• What was her weight percentile wise at birth and where is she at percentile wise now? My son was born at 5% and went off the charts around 12 months and has hovered around there since then. He was not even 17 lbs at 12 months old. Because he was born so small the doc was not worried at all about it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Is she breastfed? How active is she? Some babies are just smaller then others.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 2:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2009