Trained night feeder

Okay my daughter is 15 months old, and I breastfeed to get her to sleep. She also wakes up in the middle of the night and drinks some more milk and goes back to sleep. I've been wanting to wean her off and I really need to soon b/c I have to get my wisdom teeth taken out. I have no idea what to do. Thanks!

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just get her to sleep with a bottle, or rather sippy cup, of water and if she wakes at night giver her more water. She should be having her teeth brushed before bed and nothing but water after that. It will be hard and will be rough few nights but she catch on and probably wont even wake at night anymore. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• im struggeling with this myself,but my lil one just turned one,im gonna give her chance to wean herself, but i dont want to go past 14-15months also.ive been trying to put a pacy in her mouth at night,sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• breastmilk is different than formula, it is anti-bacterial so doesn't promote cavities. op-have you checked with your pediatrician to see if you can still breastfeed AFTER the procedure? that is what i would do. obviously it is your choice, but babies tend to wean themselves between 18-24 months. it will probably be easier on both of you if she is allowed to self-wean. good luck!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i still breastfeed and i had my gulbladder taken out,i never took the pain meds after words,i just pumped and dump once becouse of the anistedic to put my to sleep
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Breastmilk still has sugar and can be harmful if left on teeth. I would try to brush after last feeding. Just switch the routine around. Keep everything else the same, but instead of dimming the lights to feed her and put her straight to bed, just feed her with the lights on, then brush teeth, then read a story or something calming in the chair she usually nurses in, then turn off the lights and sing a song or two. She should begin to recognize this as her new calming/soothing ritual. With a little luck, you should be able to get her calm enough to be put gently in her crib, calm but awake. Most kiddos surprisingly don't put up a fight with this, especially if they recognize through the whole ritual that it's leading up to bedtime. And once she learns to go to sleep this way, she should soon learn to go back to sleep on her own, too. You may be able to just go in and sing to her again, or even let her do it herself. GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I know that most places will tell you that you can't breastfeed after surgery but it's not true. Most say it just because they don't know so they err on the side of safety. I had my wisdom teeth removed when my son was just a few months old. I nursed him just before I left and was home before he wanted to nurse again. If you are worried about her exposure to the meds they give you for surgery then just hold off for about four hours. But you really are good to go. If you are worried about the pain you will be in and whether or not you will feel like nursing I can tell you that it probably won't even compare to the pain you have now. I had no idea that so much of the pain I was in was cause by my wisdom teeth. It was such a relief to have them out and I ended up not using any of the pain medication they gave me for afterwards.
    Quayla

Answer by Quayla at 10:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009