Extreme dizziness

I had a really scary experience today! I was shopping at Wal-Mart without the kids (thank goodness) and I was about halfway done when all of a sudden this wave of panic came over me. I've had panic attacks before and I've had pregnancy related dizziness but this pregnancy seems to be the worst. Today I'm 10 weeks. Anyway, I turned the corner and my heart was racing, I thought I was having a heart attack or something although I didn't have any chest pain. I felt really weak and the only thought in my mind was "I have to get out of the store." So I did, I left my cart there and went to my car. I sat there for a while then drove home and panicked again on the drive home. I ate lunch (I had only had 2 cups of coffee and a granola bar today) and felt a little better, but still shaken up by the experience. My first DR appt isn't until July 7th, so in the meantime is there anything I can do to prevent these panic attacks/dizziness?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well im a passing out pro....durring my pregnancy that happend to me at least 2 times a week. You need to drink more watter then you normaly would when your pregnant. Eat a big healthy breakfest. Because of your iron being a problem before make sure you are getting alot of it now. Always keep some hard candys in your purse because it might be your blood sugar levles. Aside from the big breakfest eat a bunch of small meals through the day not just 3. this will help the sugar levels. When you start to get dizzy sit down it dosnt matter where you are. dont worry about getting out of the store i would just sit down on the floor. If your driving pull over right away incase it gets any worse and wait for it to pass. And try to rest as much as you can (i know its hard with kids) at least till you can go see your doctor. If you want or need to know anything else about the passing out then message me.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Eat a healthy breakfast first of all girl!! Did you ever have an issue with your iron in your past pregnancys? If so I would get some extra iron pills to take with your prenatels. I need extra Iron when Im prego and if I miss my pill, I get dizzy.
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 1:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Actually yes. My iron in my last pregnancy was so low that I had to get 5 iron infusions!!! I haven't been to the DR yet so I've been taking an OTC iron pill but it makes me horribly nauseated.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Make sure you are well hydrated that can sometimes make you real dizzy! I also enema can make you dizzy to! I had that problem with my 2ed daughter through the whole pregnancy I kept getting real dizzy and passing out and my heart rate stayed well over 100 the whole pregnancy. The doc said I was just having panic attacks and I was crazy cuz I called him about once a week! Well I found out at the end of my pregnancy that there was lack of oxygen to my brain! Yeah so I was pissed off cuz they said I was having panic attacks and I knew I wasnt. Most likely that is not going on with you but if it keeps up  keep bugging your doctor and do not let it go! You may just be dehydrated or might be having small panic attacks!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• When I was pregnant I would get weird attacks as well and some days in the beginning I was EXTREMELY dizzy. I can't really answer wether it will get better or not since my pregnancy wasn't successful. BUT when it came time for my D&C my iron was really low so that might be your problem. Maybe trying making your appointment for sooner and let them know your concerned about the dizziness and would like blood work to make sure your iron isn't low.
    Soon2Be8489

Answer by Soon2Be8489 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Also keep in mind that dairy and iron dont mix. It keeps you body from using the iron. I noticed that if I take my iron in the morning with a glass of OJ it keeps me from becoming sick. Also dont take it with your prenatal and try not to take your prenatal with dairy either. You need to get all the iron you can...this is hard since you need to take these pills with food too. Just get you milk in with snacks between meals...or your pills in with snacks and something high in vit C. C helps your body use the iron.
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 2:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2009