Are Leapfrog products worth it?

I am looking to teach my 3 year old son to read, do you use leapfrog to teach your kids to read? If not, what products do you recommend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What happened to teaching kids yourself instead of relying on computers? My daughter has a leapfrog and it was great when she was younger, but she didn't have it until I taught her how to read. A piece of paper or a book are all you need. First teach them their ABC and go from there. It's not hard, kids like to learn!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 1:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I bought my daughter Vtech stuff to help her learn. She had the hand held game the video game for the TV and the little laptop...She loves it and I feel it helped her alot She got it when she was 3 shes 4 now and knows her ABC colors shapes and can count to 12.... Aside from the video games we have workbooks and writing tAblets that we use also!!! we DO NOT just use computers...we practice writing her name and small words.... But yes i do think leap fog and vtech are worth it :)
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My sons learned to read by my reading to them and also teaching them the letters. For a short while every afternoon I'd point to something and we'd work on what letter it began with. I read to them a number of very simple books, and by looking at the words with me, they caught on about reading.

Answer by Bmat at 1:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• personally no.

I prefer BOOKS, magazines and the real world.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I love "The Letter Factory" DVD they have and the fridge phonics toys for teaching letter sounds.

I don't have any plans to buy their computer game systems though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I like the V-Smile personally though I do do a lot of reading and letter sounds with my son to. I have flash card with 'action' words like clap and spin on them that he sounds out and then does the action. It's a game. We also have a poster board by the back door that we write words on. every time he reads a word out of a book all by himself we add it to the list he has a goal of 50 words over the summer. I also like the show Between the Lions, The (new) Electric Company and Super Why.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I am very anti-electronic games. We never had any, my daughter went to a mediocre (but convenient) preschool, and was reading by the time she turned 4. We read to her every day, from birth. We played phonics games. We labeled everything in the house (DOOR, WINDOW, etc.). We had wooden blocks with the alphabet.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We use the leapsters and the leappads for fun on road trips or occasional quiet or one on one time. But no, leapfrog products will not teach them. The products will make it fun for them to practice what you teach.
    I always started with the abc's (board books or coloring pages), then the phonic sounds (flash cards and activity books- work it into what you do- here's and apple, what letter makes the a sound?), then sight words like the, that, it, he, she, etc. (flash cards or just write them on paper and have them say and write them), then sounding simple words, and then reading simple books.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Yes they are, but like the other posters I agree that teaching your child yourself is the better way to go. My DD ahs a Leapster and loves it, but its only entertainment...not learning.
    greenie11

Answer by greenie11 at 5:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We've had a lot of Leapfrog/V-tech products through the years, given to us as gifts. My kids never used any of them. My daughter read at 4, but she loved actual books. She also loved the computer, pbskids.org, sesamestreet.com, noggin.com. Those websites really helped her learn to read. You have to press the START button and PLAY button. Click on the word BARNEY and there he is.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009