The head of my son's penis is purple. Does anyone know wat could cause that?

Its always been a light purple, but I was just changing him and I noticed it was more purple then usual. He pees fine. But it worries me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Double check that a hair is not wrapped around it.

Anonymous

• is it hard? Does it bother him? it sounds pertty normal to me.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Theres no hair around it. Its not hard, and he doesnt cry when I wipe him.
    Anonymous

• The pigmentation of the epidermal tissue of the penile shaft is often different from that of the mucosal tissue of the glans and inner foreskin. In the intact penis, only the epidermal tissue of the penile shaft and outer foreskin are visible. The pigmentation of this tissue is usually consistent. Only when the foreskin is retracted, and the glans is exposed, does any pigmentation difference become noticeable.

In a circumcised penis, any difference in pigmentation (between the epidermal tissue and that of the mucosal tissue of the glans and remaining inner foreskin) is readily and permanently visible.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 2:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I'm assuming he's circumcised? Mine does the same thing...doc said it was ok. Honestly I think it might have something to do with that little bit of extra skin that gets pushed up around the edge. Next time you change him, just push that skin down a little and let it "breathe" If you don't push it back a bit periodically you run the risk of it reattaching to the rim around the head.
    Anonymous

• Ok that sets my mind at ease. I have been pulling the skin back. thx alot for all those who posted
    Anonymous

• I asked a friend about this and she said it was because it just doesnt get enough air to it because the skin gets pushed up around it and its in the diaper all day. Ive asked my doctor several times if it was ok and she said it was fine. So as long as its not hurting id say thats probably the problem.
    bittersweetqt

Answer by bittersweetqt at 8:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2009