When do you teach your children the alphabet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started with my DD at around 2 1/2..she will be 3 in September and she can already identify all the letters
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• we would sing and say our ABCs when DD could speak. She is now 2 1/2 and says them and recognizes 75% of them. Whne walking around we say them along with our numbers(she counts to 14)(but always skips 6..lol)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I started at about 2 and 1/2 with my son.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 2:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You can pretty much start whenever you want. My son loves shapes so when we ran out of new shapes to learn, we started on letters and numbers. At 2 he recognizes all the letters and 0-9. He loves to pick them out on signs, books, etc. He also loves to watch the PBS show WordWorld which probably also helped him learn his letters. Key is to keep it fun.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You can start as early as you want. When your child will actually learn it is up to your child. All kids vary - some are interested and learn it quickly, some don't care and don't learn it until they start school. Both are normal.

How? Keep it fun. Skip the flashcards and workbooks. They are not age appropriate. Casually point out a different letter each week. Look for it in stories, out shopping, on street signs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I started reading and singing to my son from day one. Before he was 18 months he could recognize all of the letters of the alphabet and could sing part of the alphabet song. I have a set of flashcards I use, but we keep it real fun. I think that's one of the key things-fun, no pressure. I hope that my second son will enjoy reading and singing as much as his big brother!
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We started with Timothy around 18 months. He can identify all the letters, but he doesn't know the alphabet song. I figure that he'll get that eventually.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We started singing it around 18 months... within a couple of months my daughter could say it, maybe mixing up a part here or there... then by about 22 months she could sing it perfectly and recognize some of the letters. By her 2nd b-day she can recognize all the capital letters and knows one or two words that begin with some of the letters, and knows the sounds a few of them make...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We've always used the alphabet song as one of those we sing all the time... even when they were little babies. :0) Actually, since my eldest 2 love the show Super Why- we sing Pig's version of the ABC's.

My 3.5 year old can identify all his letters and sing the song... and has been able to for quite some time now... my 21 month old knows the song and is starting to sing along bit by bit. It is just recognition and repetition. He'll have it down much earlier than the other kids, mainly because he has them to constantly sing it to him. :0)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2009