I have a 3 week old daughter and I breastfeed her and formula feed her too, and she poops 10 times a day or more, is that normal?

I have a 3 week old daughter and I breastfeed her and formula feed her too, and she poops 10 times a day or more, is that normal? She has a diaper rash so I have to wash her in the sink, even in the middle of the night. She poops too much! I feed her 2 ounces every 2 hours or when shes hungry. I went through 4 diapers in 10 minutes because she keeps pooping. And is more of the yellowish watery seedy type of poop. 10 times a day or more, is that normal? C'mon us adults don't poop that much.

WowitsEM

Asked by WowitsEM at 2:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's completely normal =] The seedy poop is from the breastmilk. It shouldn't smell horribly bad either. As long as it's not extremely runny and watery, she should be fine. Her digestive system is still kind of out of whack, and like I said, as long as it's not runny, it's probably normal. Breastfed babies tend to poop more than formula fed babies.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Of course adults don't poop that much. We don't have a healthy diet.
    People who have VERY healthy diets actually have a bowel movement every time they eat, much like babies.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• the seedy poop is from the BM...just make sure that since you're washing her in the sink you're drying her off REALLY WELL...maybe use a little cornstarch on her little tushy to soothe the rash.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Totally normal, when my DD was first born, I never saw a diaper without seedy poop in it. That went on for months, then as time went on, she pooped a little less. When she stopped pooping in every diaper, I was worried she was constipated. But as their digestive system works out the kinks, they poop less, and can go days without a bowel movement. My pedi told me that the rash is common with babies that poop a lot, just have to change them as often as you can, let them air out for a few minutes between diapers, and make sure the skin is dry before putting diaper cream on (otherwise it locks in the moisture). You can also put liquid antacid (like Mylanta) on a cotton ball and apply it to a clean tush to relieve any burning from the diarreah. Hope it helps!
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 10:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2009