My mom is always underminding my authority infront of my son. What Do I Do?

Raidernation57

Asked by Raidernation57 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How old is your son? Think sometimes we just have to deal with the grandparents as it comes. I had this problem with my mother when break or weane my son from somthing. She would always just give it right back to him. Just remember to stay true to your way of teaching . He'll know and understand that you will not back down. As for your mother You might try talk ing this over with her. letting her know that you don't wish for these things see how it goes from there.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 3:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Yikes. I had the SAME problem with my mother. I know this is tough because she's your mom and you love her and we don't want to be disrespectful, BUT you need to stop it immediately. I allowed it for a short time and my son lost all respect for me and didn't listen at all. Then he didn't listen to her either. It was REALLY tough, but I eventually told my mother in a not so nice voice (in front of my son), to never tell me how to raise my child and to never undermine my authority or she wouldn't be allowed to see her grandchild. She didn't listen. She didn't see her grandson for an entire summer. She never did it again.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 3:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Tell her that unless she stops, she will not see her grandchild.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Stand up to her and remind her you are the parent and you make the rules. Also, let her know she will go by your rules or not see your son.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I'm with the other ladies, I've been going through this with my mother for 4 years. I finally snapped Thursday. I got tired of her thinking she could do whatever she wanted with my child. i ended up yelling at her, "I am the parent to MY child, not you. You do not get to say or do whatever you wish with her." I haven't spoken to her in days. I will not allow my daughter to see her again unattended (without me or DH) again until she agrees to ALL of my terms.
    Sometimes we have to go to extremes to remind our parents that WE are the parents, the adults now. And though it maybe hard, it is necessary.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 9:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i tell my mom to shut up, and my mother n law..
    nightvixen

Answer by nightvixen at 10:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I kindly tell whom ever it is undermining my authority to back off!!! If it escalates then yes remind them that you are the mother. I have to remind my parents and in laws that they raised their children their way which really isn't how I'm raising mine!!!
    luvmykids3

Answer by luvmykids3 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Tell her to back off and if she doesn't, stay away from her.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 2:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I know how you feel! My Mom makes me want to scream sometimes! I mean he gets anything and everything he wants over there. He even says this to my face! "I like going to Grandma's house cause I get to do whatever I want." I was flabbergasted when he said this to me. He said it in front of her too and she just thinks it is cute. Not so cute let me tell ya. Can get away with anything there and makes me look and feel like a bad person when I discipline him for things he knows better than to do. I just try and tell her as much as I can that I am his Mom, but all I get is well I am his Grandma. Oh either that or no he is not your child he is a child of God....what? Wel of course but God made me his Mom and I am in charge! All I can say is just be patient and consistant!
    ButterflyMeli

Answer by ButterflyMeli at 8:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• talk to your mother and tell her not to do that or you would not bring your child around no more if not that will only hurt your child in the long run trust me my father did it to me and i have problem with my father still to this day and my son is 15yrs old and it started since day 1
    lovejoy

Answer by lovejoy at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009