How do you feel about this?

Some of my friends just bought a house and are having a housewarming party. Well, they registered at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I have never heard of anyone registering for a housewarming party before. I mean I usually take a gift to one, but I personally think it is very rude to. They also put very expensive gifts on there. The cheapest things are $29.99 and their gifts go up to $299.99. Am I the only one that feels this way?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 3:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• wow! Ive never heard of that! bring them a plant!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 3:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I think it's fine to register. That way you get/give what is needed/wanted. It shouldn't be expected of you to get something from it though. I've taken candles or plants before. I've also asked if there's anything they need.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• well i've never heard of anyone registering for a housewarming, but I always bring a gift. Like for my sister, I knew she didnt have many dishes, so I bought her glasses/cups
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Well, I guess maybe a lot of people asked them what they needed, so they put it on a list and people can see what has been gotten already so they don't end up with stuff like 6 coffeemakers. If you can't afford anything on the list take them a nice plant. Everybody likes plants.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I'm not much for house warming parties to begin with. It's kind of wierd. Im all for like "hey come over to my new place and we'll put some buger on the grill" but a housewarming party? Strange. Go to the dollar store and make her a pretty basket filled with cleaning necessities she wont think about until she needs them LOL. That was actually the best gift I got for my bridal shower was a basket full of like carpet cleaner adn febreeze adn windex etc it was done really pretty in a reuseable basket. I loved it
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I am anti-registration in general . We refused to register when we got married or had a baby. I never want anyone to think that I expect more than love and friendship.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• yeah, I have to agree here. People in general do not register for housewarming parties. What's next, 1st birthday registries? How about going-away registries? If $30 is too much to spend for your budget, throw cash into a card and call it a day.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 1:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I personally have never heard of someone registering for a house warming party. For a wedding/bridal shower, yes, but not a housewarming. We had a house warming party but just did so because we wanted all our friends to see our new home. We made a meal and desserts and hung out. A couple of people brought gifts, but they were not expected at all. I agree with previous poster on just getting them a nice house plant or something if you don't feel like spending so much at Bed Bath and Beyond. That is perfectly acceptable.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Is it their first house? Then the registry is the norm. It's a lot easier then returning a ton of gifts because they don't match the theme of the room they're bought for. If you don't wan't to buy what is listed then at least stick to what the pattern and colors are.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2009